Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Burn Cds; Wnaspi32.dll Error Message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lanimilbus

Lanimilbus

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:53 PM

My Windows 98 computer has 60GB of space, 59 of which is taken up, and everything I do on my computer now takes much longer and often ends in fatal error messages. Iíve cleared up as much as possible, but thereís still only one gig left until my computer is at its limit, assuming itíll make it till then without crashing.
As I said, Iíve deleted as much as possible, but I still have countless folders and files that I need to have saved onto CD-Rs as backups. So, the other day I opened BurnRight! CD & DVD to begin burning my files onto CDs. Unfortunately, about 2 seconds after double clicking the programís icon, I got an error message saying, ďBad or missing system .DLLĒ and underneath that, ďNeed WINDOWS original WNASPI32.DLL.Ē I clicked Ok, and the program closed.
So then I tried Nero Burning Rom, my other CD burning program, and got the exact same error message, followed by another one, saying ďThe Win-ASPI file Ď?.?í cannot be found, therefore you can currently select only image recorders. The missing file is one of the Windows 95/98*Grinler files. Please fix this problem and then restart Nero. (Error 12: Init failed!)Ē
Iíve never had these error messages before, and, to my knowledge, I havenít done anything major with my computer that would involve the deleting of any .DLL files recently. So, after both Nero and Burnright failed, I went to download.com and downloaded several other CD burning programs, and upon installation they all gave me variations of the same error message. I googled the error message and found several sites saying to download the ďWNASPI32.DLLĒ file and then put it in C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM, which I did, to no result. I downloaded the file from several different locations, and each time I put it in the system folder, afterwards when I opened either Nero or BurnRight I would just get the same error message. Another site suggested putting it in the Nero folder, which I also tried to no avail.
Day by day my computer is getting progressively slower and less able to perform tasks without crashing. So could anyone help me, please? Iíve run out of things to try. Thanks in advance,

-Alec

P.S.
I do have flash drives on which I could back up my files instead of CDs, but unfortunately my computer no longer recognizes anything thatís plugged into its USB ports, besides my mouse, which it only recognizes when in normal mode. (P.P.S. If anyone happens to have suggestions of what to do about my USB problem as well, Iíd love to hear them.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

sounds like your doing the right thing . maybe the file you downloaded is corrupt. try this one from win98 se

#3 swwelsh

swwelsh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:38 PM

Here is a site that explains some of the aspi stuff:

http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/aspi.htm

There might be something in there to help. I would also try to free up more space, you will get all kinds of strange errors from a 98 system without enough drive space and they can have you chasing your tail. Have you deleted all your temporary internet files? Deleted everything from c:\windows\temp folder? Uninstalled all uneeded programs from add/remove programs?

As for the usb problem, try booting to safe mode, then go into device manager and delete all the entries under usb devices, you will probably see quite few that don't show up in regular mode. These 'ghost' devices can sometimes cause problems. If you are sure you have the usb drivers for your system, you can also delete the main usb drivers and have windows reinstall them when you reboot

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:53 AM

You need to free some space.
With it only showing such a limited amount of space now I am surprized it is functioning at all!

Between the free space needed to compile a burn for a cd and normal filing of temp files for your system, you're out of room.

Try cleaning system and Internet temp files to start. Uninstall programs you do not use and won't need.

#5 Lanimilbus

Lanimilbus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for your help,
I freed up some more space, tried downloading the DLL file again, and it works fine now. :thumbsup:

#6 ulala

ulala

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:33 AM

I'm having the same problem. Mind to tell me where you downloaded the working DLL? Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users