Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop 0x000000c2 Bad Pool Caller ...huh?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 100th_registration

100th_registration

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

All of a sudden I started getting this blue screen error:
STOP: Bad_Pool_Caller 0X000000c2 (0X00000040 0X00000000 0X80000000 0X00000000)
If I let the computer rest a moment or sometimes alot longer then it will let me into my windows. But then then shortly or sometimes immediately the screen starts to freak out and then I get the blue screen error again.
I thought maybe it was the rams memory so I got another one and took the old one out and put the new one in but it didn't affect the problem at all. So now I'm using both memories. :thumbsup:
Also for some reason if I turn my monitor off periodically (like every couple of minutes and let it sit for about a minute) then I don't have any problems. Strange... Could my monitor be going out? But if that were true why would it be giving me a stop error?
Can someone help me? Do you think this is a software or hardware problem?

Here's my stats:
Dell Dimension 4400
Windows XP Home Edition
Updated except for SP2 (My computer has never been able to upgrade to it without problems). Thanx so much for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:52 PM

I am no expert in this area, but from what I have read, it is probably a bad driver problem. I am sure a more knowledgeable member can give you better guidance.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

Is this OS an upgrade fromWindows 2000, or was XP originally installed on this system?
What problems are you having installing SP2?

This is what I found from Microsoft.
See if anything pertains to your situation:
How to interpret a Stop 0xC2 or Stop 0x000000C2 error message on a Windows XP-based computer
Computer with ATI RAGE FURY MAXX Video Adapter Stops Responding After Upgrade to Windows XP
"STOP 0x000000c2" Error Message Appears on a Blue Screen After You Install IomegaWare
BUG: Server for NFS May Cause the System to Stop Responding if You Create a Very Deep Directory Tree
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 100th_registration

100th_registration
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:02 AM

Windows XP was origionally on this computer when purchased from dell. It is not upgraded from any other os.
oh and something else i forgot to mention: i sent an error report when it let me and it came back telling me my nvidia driver was causing a problem or conflicting or something... i can't remember exactly what it said. but now every time i send an error report it just tells me the report is corrupt or it expirienced an error or something.
now the nvidia graphics card i have isn't the origional that came with the system...
i would try to buy the exact same that came with the system but i don't know what that is... does anyone know how to find the origional stats of a dell 4400? i used to know where to find it on dell site but since they changed thier site all around i cant find it.
and does anyone know of a diagnostic or anything i could run to see if anything is conflicting. in my hardware manager it doesn't show anything wrong. hmmm. thanks for your help.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:52 AM

Have you gone to the nVidia site, and reinstalled the driver for your card?
Sounds like that's the problem.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

I suspect that this is a problem because you don't have SP2. Of all the security fixes and OS improvements in SP2 the most troublesome has been a change in how Microsoft allows drivers to interact with the OS.

Most SP2 installations are trouble-free. Those that aren't are usually due to one of these issues:
1) virus infection
2) drivers that aren't compatible with SP2

Since your system isn't at SP2, I suspect that a post-SP2 driver may be confused about how to apply itself.

The first step is to scan your system for viruses (just to be double sure). Try this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/ Choose the "Full Service Scan"

Then, visit the Dell support site and update all of your drivers. Only update the BIOS if it mentions SP2 in the notes.

Then, install SP2 - it should go smoothly then. If the problem resurfaces we should be able to offer more specific advice.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

The manual for your Dell 4400 should be on your computer. The link below is to the online manual.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...00/6J373a00.pdf

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users