Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secure Sites?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:09 PM

Hi,

I tried to DL a digital photo editing program called Gimp and my computer blocked the action. I was told that it is probably do to my AV program. I wonder if by disabling my AV for a short time I can get the DL. Unfortunately, I don't know how to determine if the site is secure or not. Is there a way to tell?

Also, I am confusd as to what "Mirror" sites are. I am asked to choose one of many from which to DL. It looks as though these are located all over the world. How can you tell which sites are safe?
Thanks,-Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:34 PM

What site did you try to download GIMP from?
This is the site you should be using:
GIMP

Always try to download programs from the developers site.
That's the best way to ensure there will be minimal problems, if it's a safe site, which this one is.

You'll need to download two programs for Windows in order to use the GIMP: the GIMP and the GTK runtime environment, which is available for download on the same site. The program won't work without it. Also, if you speak a language other than English, you can select it when you install GTK.

Mirror sites, are sites other than the developer's site, where their programs are hosted for downloading.
It helps to relieve the bandwidth drain on the site, for developer's of popular programs, or sites that have limited bandwidth.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:23 PM

Thank you, that is the site I am using. I am not too computer literate and so I use the automatic installer. I choose Gimp for Windows, "stable version" to download. Then I am switched to a mirrored site for the first part of the installation. I asume from your response that this means that I am not actually using the developers site but unfortunately I have no other choice. In your opinion, would it be safe to use this site with my anti virus disabled during the process of downloading the program? Thank you for any insite.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

The only time it's safe to disable your Antivirus, is if you're disconnected from the internet.
For safety sake, you shouldn't let programs install from the internet.
You should download the program to your harddrive, then right click the download, and scan it with your Antivirus, before installing it.
Then you can disconnect from the internet, disable you Antivirus, and install the program.
Then re enable your AV, and connect to the internet.

A mirrored site, is a site approved by the developer.

I wouldn't worry about the GIMP, too much.
It's a reputable program, that's been around a long time, and I've never heard of anyone having problems.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

Thanks again,
I guess this means that I should download by saving the file first to my HD, then scaninng it befor installing it. If everything is O.K. then I should proceed with the installation. Thanks again--------Ken

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:20 PM

You're welcome Ken, and yes, that's correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users