Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does My Hard Drive Have A Problem?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WatchNut

WatchNut

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hello All:

My hard drive (Seagate 500 MB SATA drive, about 2 weeks old in a new computer) seems to run constantly. That is, the little drive light on the from panel of my computer flashes roughly once a second, and I can actually hear the drive clicking away as though some reading or writing is taking place.

Is this normal? Should the drive run all the time like this, or do I have another problem here? Is there software I can download that will show me what is causing that drive activity, and whether or not it is expected activity.

My computer has been thoroughly scanned for Malware and other nasties using HiJack This, AVGS, PC-Cillin, AdAware and Spybot S&D. I have also turned off Windows Indexing service in Control Panel.

Thank you all so much in advance, and thanks for this wonderful site and resource.

Regards,

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:51 AM

Check the task manager and see what applications are running. I you seriously think there is a problem with the hdd go to the Seagate web site and download their diagnostic software, you probably will need a floppy drive in order to use this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:07 AM

How much ram does this machine have? (this sounds like excessive page file use)

Edited by oldf@rt, 01 December 2006 - 11:09 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

What you need to do is see what other programs may be running.

Open your Task Manager and see if there are any programs running, hogging up your resources.

If you want to hear something ironic, there are some threads I created here... that talks specifically about the Seagate hard drives. As of this post that you're reading, I would highly suggest you find another hard drive manufacturer to buy from. Seagate has already made it on my "NEVER again hard drive to buy" list.

Read these threads:

RFID Chips - See How You're Being Tracked & Monitored
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...c=70596&hl=

Your New Hard Drive May Already Have DRM Built In It
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...c=73039&hl=

The 2nd thread will have a link to a web site that talks about the technology being put in hard drives... and Seagate being one of the "boasters" of it too.

Check it out... you'll probably never buy another one of those again.

And personally..... I believe Seagate is doing it right now.. or at least have been doing it for a few years or so. You decide.

#5 WatchNut

WatchNut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

How much ram does this machine have? (this sounds like excessive page file use)

RAM is 2GB in the machine.

Thanks.

Michael

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:16 AM

Lets try this:

Start > r click my computer properties advanced performance settings (opens performance options)

advanced tab, virtual memory, change: virtual memory

make sure the system managed size is selected , if not, select, click the set button, ok, ok, ok, to exit

if windows says that it needs to restart, restart the machine
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:04 AM

[quote name='Walkman' date='Dec 1 2006, 11:51 AM' post='404628'

If you want to hear something ironic, there are some threads I created here... that talks specifically about the Seagate hard drives. As of this post that you're reading, I would highly suggest you find another hard drive manufacturer to buy from. Seagate has already made it on my "NEVER again hard drive to buy" list.

I think it's sad that because of your bad experience with Seagate you feel compelled to dissuade anyone else from purchasing their product. Every manufacturer of hdds has had failures, all of them! In spite of your personal crusade Seagate still enjoys having a great reputation, if fact their perpendicular writing hdd is being recognized as one of the top two on the market. If their product is so bad how could they offer a five year warranty? Currently Western Digital and Seagate are enjoying the best reputations on the market, I would add Maxtor to that list, but Seagate now owns them so it would be redundant.

I'm on my second Maxtor, so what I've written isn't from pesonal bias.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

Walkman' date='Dec 1 2006, 11:51 AM' post='404628'

I think it's sad that because of your bad experience with Seagate you feel compelled to dissuade anyone else from purchasing their product. Every manufacturer of hdds has had failures, all of them! In spite of your personal crusade Seagate still enjoys having a great reputation, if fact their perpendicular writing hdd is being recognized as one of the top two on the market. If their product is so bad how could they offer a five year warranty? Currently Western Digital and Seagate are enjoying the best reputations on the market, I would add Maxtor to that list, but Seagate now owns them so it would be redundant.

I'm on my second Maxtor, so what I've written isn't from pesonal bias.

Well,, this is how I look at it. If I know about something that is either dangerous, potentially dangerous, or otherwise out-right immoral, I'll tell my personal experiences on that. I would hope that if you knew of something of that magnitude of what they're doing, you would inform others.

Everyone is still FREE to decide their own paths, for now. But if you've read the different technology reports about Seagate AND others, you'd too feel the way I do,, and as many, many others too.

I guess you could call it personal, but it's past that point... you're talking about simply dictating what I can have and can't have on my computer hard drive. And if you don't see it that way, then all I can say on that part is..... "Oh Well". They're telling us what they're doing, and going to do. They are going to lock down the hard drives, and that means you will install ONLY what they think you should have on your computer,,, and that also means that they are going to extort software makers.

You can keep buying Seagate's hard drives all you want, that's your right, but I'm letting people know that they should look elsewhere for different hard drives. And guess what?.... they don't have to listen to me. I'm not concerned with that part... my part was simply informing people that Seagate is DRM'ing their hard drives, and they admit it too. Throwing it in our faces.

And because you're no#1 in the market(share) for something doesn't mean you're the best in the market. Over 70% of stocks on the stock market are OWNED by the US Government... incase you didn't know that.

Just give me a non-known company that manufacturers hard drives that are reliable, and I'll be more than happy.

Everyone is too hyped-up with the name brands...... not me.

Edited by Walkman, 11 December 2006 - 09:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users