Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post Office And Mail Delivery ...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:24 AM

I'm feeling very old - grin - as I remember when it cost 5 cents to mail a first class letter within Canada and it arrives from one coast to another within 3 days - and mailing one to the United States, again to the opposite end of the continent, it took 4 days.

Now, with all the 'improvements', a stamp costs 51 cents here in Canada and it can easily take well over a week to reach the other side of our own country.

But even funnier, I've found that often the mail between here and the States takes so long, I've given up sending a letter 'first class'when mailing really important ones (thankfully these are rare) - and the other day I choose 'Canada's Express Post' - $10.50 to mail a single letter to the States! (The alternative was paying over $30 with the advantage of it being guaranteed to reach it's destination between 3-5 days).

Granted there is a lot more mail than there used to be - but with the use of magical computers and scanning devises I would have thought the service would be at least maintained at what it once way, not going in reverse? (This is not a complaint against any mail carriers, rather wondering about a system that somewhat privatized our mail service - sigh).

Now that I've ranted - hoot! - I really am curious ... do any of you send actual paper Christmas cards and letters this time of year or is it mostly email greetings, I wonder.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:52 AM

We don't really do much for Christmas greeting persay, but I do send out and End of the Year letter to our families. We put it in the mail with a few photos to make it more personal.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:27 AM

Yeah, I'm old too. I remember here in the States when it was 5cents to mail a letter and 3 cents for a post card. I don't think anybody but salespeople use postcards anymore. Unless your on vacation...
My wife and I still send out old fashion Christmas cards and she still lines up the ones we get from people. In fact, my brother's wife already sent hers out, we got it 2 days ago!
Ecards are nice, but I like the real thing better. I use both. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:15 AM

I'm feeling very old - grin - as I remember when it cost 5 cents to mail a first class letter within Canada and it arrives from one coast to another within 3 days - and mailing one to the United States, again to the opposite end of the continent, it took 4 days.

Now, with all the 'improvements', a stamp costs 51 cents here in Canada and it can easily take well over a week to reach the other side of our own country.

But even funnier, I've found that often the mail between here and the States takes so long, I've given up sending a letter 'first class'when mailing really important ones (thankfully these are rare) - and the other day I choose 'Canada's Express Post' - $10.50 to mail a single letter to the States! (The alternative was paying over $30 with the advantage of it being guaranteed to reach it's destination between 3-5 days).

Granted there is a lot more mail than there used to be - but with the use of magical computers and scanning devises I would have thought the service would be at least maintained at what it once way, not going in reverse? (This is not a complaint against any mail carriers, rather wondering about a system that somewhat privatized our mail service - sigh).

Now that I've ranted - hoot! - I really am curious ... do any of you send actual paper Christmas cards and letters this time of year or is it mostly email greetings, I wonder.

That wasn't a rant MaraM,you just reminded me of the good old days,5 cents a letter,etc,etc,etc.
I would gladly swap this rat race we live in now for those times, without as much as a hesitation.
Personally, I use the magic of emails daily to my friends and relatives,to keep up with the latest
gossip(love gossip)and whats happening.We all decided to just email and not send so many christmas
cards.Emails are instant and I like to keep in touch.Got absolutely sick of texting on my cellphone.
I have to send mail, naturally,and have the same problems with times reaching destinations.
I have to send mail to my parents which live some 100 miles away.The fastest time for this distance
has been 24 hrs,and the slowest 5 days.I asked our local postman why the huge time differences?
He said simple.It all depends "when" you post the letter into the system,governs how quick its reaches
it's destination.Now I have had my rant. :thumbsup:

DSTM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

E-mails and phonecalls are quick and relatively cheap, but having a pretty card displayed at Christmastime is always something especially thoughtful, warm, and nice, and certainly in keeping with tradition.
I always send cards to those I care about.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:30 AM

E-mails and phonecalls are quick and relatively cheap, but having a pretty card displayed at Christmastime is always something especially thoughtful, warm, and nice, and certainly in keeping with tradition.
I always send cards to those I care about.
Regards,
John

Everyone to their own,John.If as in my case,we all decide we would prefer a nice email with photo's etc, all
the family adding their something to the email, is great also in my opinion.I don't think you can express your
feelings in a few lines of a Christmas card,as well as spending the time to design a special email original,
which they can file anyway.

DSTM.

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:34 PM

I prefer jumping in the truck to visit family or of they live too far away I call to wish them a happy holiday and catch up. To me snailmailing or emailing a X-Mas card/letter is too impersonal.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:44 PM

Personally, I'm just plain happy to get a Christmas greeting, either via email or a real Christmas card (with a real letter or even a short note in it, of course, and photos are just little wonderful little gifts in themselves - but best of all would be if we could magically transport those we love from their place to ours over the holiday season.

The huge positive point of a 'real' Christmas card? As a child, when the holiday season had ended and most people apparently felt an emotional slump, I had the joy of looking forward to cutting apart all the pretty pictures on the cards and pasting them into a scrapbook! (It didn't take much to keep me happy as a kid - grin!).

No matter which way one chooses, it's just so nice that people care enough to bother - what lovely people you are!!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

I like physical ones. I make and send out physical ones too. I like being able to pin up cards on the mantle or prop them on a desk or table, and I don't have to spend electricity to do it either.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:19 PM

I love getting christmas Letters... just to think that people would take the time to sign a card and mail it to you, and they look nice on the mantle...

About the long time it takes for processing imagine if they took out all the junk mail, such as Credit Card offers and other things like that and they would only process stuff that people actually need...

#11 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

Re the mass of junk mail we all seem to get ... wonder what would happen if we all simply wrote on each one, "Return to sender" and then popped them back into the mail box.

Of course, letters to Santa aren't junk and today was spent sitting down with the little ones and helping them write to Santa - and all those wonderful Elves (volunteer post office workers) actually write back each year - yup, magic!! :thumbsup:

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

I still send lots of paper cards and a bunch of E cards anyway. I love them. We put them all out, they just add to the festiveness. They cost 39 cents in US to mail. I send Chanukah cards to my Jewish friends also. I noticed over the years a lot less businesses send them. That's sad. So, I also always send a "Merry Christmas" card to the ACLU. :thumbsup: But I do.
(Which reminds me, we could use a Christmas tree smiley)
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users