Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Stop My Tabs From Scrolling Off The Screen?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

Hello all,

I've been using the new Firefox v2.0 (the greatest thing out there)..... and I've been using my tabbed browsing features it has. Since I've upgraded to this new version I've noticed that my tabs that I open up, end up scrolling off the screen.

I am used to having anywhere upto 20+ tabs.. ALL on the screen at one time without scrolling.

Is there anyway that I can use Firefox v2.0, and use the tabs, but have them ALL still fit on my screen?

I thank you all for your valued time..

[Added] Ohhh... before I forget... Use Firefox!!!!!

Edited by Walkman, 30 November 2006 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

Stop Tabs From Scrolling

Double click the blank space, in the Tab Bar, or right click and select New Tab.
This will open a new, blank Tab.
In the Address Bar, type; about:config
Click Enter.
Scroll down to, and double click, browser.tabs.tabMinWidth.
This will open the Enter integer value dialog box.
Change the value to 0
Click the OK button.
Exit about:config.
Close, then reopen Firefox.

This sets the minimum pixel width of the tabs.
Default - 100

Moving Close Tab Button To End Of Tab Bar

Double click the blank space, in the Tab Bar, or right click and select New Tab.
This will open a new, blank Tab.
In the Address Bar, type; about:config
Click Enter.
Scroll down to, and double click, browser.tabs.closeButtons.
This will open the Enter integer value dialog box.
Change the value to one of the 4 Integer Values listed below, depending on your preference.
Click the OK button.
Exit about:config.
Close, then reopen Firefox.

Integer Values:
0: Display a close button on the active tab only
1: (default) Display a close button on each tab
2: Don't display any close buttons (if you prefer clicking with the center mouse wheel, to close tabs)
3: Display a single close button at the end of the tab bar (Firefox 1.x behavior)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

tg1911,

I've told you all before that you're all professionals of professionals.... IT WORKS!!!!!!

I Thank you and Bleeping Computer very much and so much for all that I've been learning.

I must admit this to you though... I've installed a testing hard drive,, and it's all basic,, of course Firefox, but I haven't installed any addons to it yet... LOL.. :thumbsup: I noticed as I closed out my browser and it didn't ask me if I wanted to restore my sessions when I reopened it up again. It's all good. This is for testing things out,, and especially for everyone here at Bleeping Computer. Nothing is on this,, and I mean nothing.. it's bare to the bone. I have quite a few extra hard drives to work with.

This method works, and if anyone has this issue,, or if you're like me, and have 20+ tabs going at one time.. you'll love this, which is originally part of the old scheme.

tg1911,, You taught me something I didn't know either.. and that is the about:config in Firefox. That is chock-full of info that we all should take time to check out.

I haven't checked out the 2nd section yet... I will... I just wanted to solve this 1st issue. But I'll follow what you posted.. (which I'm sure it'll work anyway.. coming from you).. sometime tomorrow. And I'll post back here too.

I can't thank Bleeping Computer enough. For all of you that don't know...... this site/forum is exactly like a drug for me.. and this is a habit I'm not ever going to quit.

I love you guys/gals.... all of you here.. part of this community.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:26 AM

You're welcome, Walkman.
Glad you like the tweak.
I know how annoying that scrolling tab bar can be.

I noticed as I closed out my browser and it didn't ask me if I wanted to restore my sessions when I reopened it up again. It's all good.

I've never had it do that, unless the browser crashed.

You taught me something I didn't know either.. and that is the about:config in Firefox. That is chock-full of info that we all should take time to check out.

Here's a few links that should interest you, then:

Firefox Tuning
Performance Settings
About:config entries
Explainations of about:config entries
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users