Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Play Avi/mpeg On Dvd Player

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

What is the best method for converting a video and burning to a CDR to enable it for playback on a DVD player? I've tried a few things so far on a player that is supposed to be able to play alternate formats but so far nothing works.

Open-source tools would be even better!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:53 PM

What format is the video in?
Does the DVD player support CDR?
What have you tried so far?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 silmaril8n

silmaril8n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

I have created the video in Windows MovieMaker and saved it in an uncompressed AVI format as well as MPEG4. I have other options for export but none of them are explicit in being compatible with a DVD player. The player that we have does state that it is WMV, AVI, CDR, CDRW compatible.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:51 PM

To elaborate on what tg1911 asked, not all dvd players will recognize a CDR as a movie. In other words, not all CDR's will play in all dvd players.

If I were you, and I wanted to convert my movies to play in a dvd player, I'd convert them into .VOB format, VIDEO_TS folders. They play in every dvd player man has made. You have a 50/50% chance of CDR's playing in dvd players.

So.. to sum it up... convert your movies into .VOB/VIDEO_TS format. They'll play in every player you put them in.

Also, on CDR's,, depending on how long the movie is, you'll have to use 2 cd's just to watch that one movie.

On another note:.... if you want to watch them on your player and you don't want he hassle of converting, invest approximately $40+ and go get a dvd player that has a DivX logo on the box. They're also known as DivX players. I have 6 movies or so on one 4.7G dvd, and I don't have to convert at all. All I do is fit as many .AVI, .MPG, (and others) files as I can on disc..... then slap it in my player,,, and watch it on my tv... all withing 30 mins or less.

Get a DivX player. They're well worth it. Plus they play what you already own on discs. Everything.

I have hundreds of conversions under my belt, so trust me on it,, if I knew what I know now... I would have never converted any movie at all. But now... I'm in 2 deep.

#5 silmaril8n

silmaril8n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

This video file is only about 50 seconds so I don't think size will be an issue. Like I said before, the player definitely plays a CDR, I just don't know what tools to use to put in the proper format. If VOB is what it needs then are there any basic programs that will convert a raw AVI into the proper format so that it can be burned and played?

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:58 PM

Post all of the tools that you already have and (or) use for converting movies.

Note:.... Whatever your reply is, my method is for converting into the REAL DVD FORMAT.. I don't do anything except .VOB format.

#7 silmaril8n

silmaril8n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:08 AM

In this case, I've only used the MovieMaker program provided with WinXP. Upon export it gives several options, none of which explicitly state that it creates a DVD format.

On my Linux box I've used Avidemux (sp?) and other things, but I haven't involved it in this project.

#8 silmaril8n

silmaril8n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:24 AM

I think I may figured this one out. I won't know for sure until tomorrow when I can test it though.

I converted my raw AVI to MPEG2 using Any Video Converter, and then I created the DVD structure using DVD Creator.

Both freeware, and both seemed to work very nicely.

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:36 AM

That may be your ticket.

Post back your results so others may learn from it.

#10 silmaril8n

silmaril8n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:46 PM

Worked without a hitch!

#11 Fern40

Fern40

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

I was interested to read all the posts, I'm having the same problem, but, my DVD player does support MPEG and Divx, yet when I burned the video to an MPEG file on a CDR disc a notice comes up saying that it doesn't support the disc.
Obviously by what I have read here, the dvd player will support a CDR as long as its not a video.
So I'm wondering, do I convert the video to a Divx or what.? Its getting soooo confusing.
Thanks for any replies.

#12 fern1

fern1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

I hope someone will reply, all this downloading different programmes to see if I strike one that will work, is real frustrating.
I didn't mention that I use Photo Story 3 for windows to make my video, I then 'save' it to My Videos, the file gets saved as an MPEG,or if I play the video through Windows Media it gets saved as WMV.

#13 fern1

fern1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

Appreciated the feedback or lack of. Sussed it out myself after downloading so called 'free' programmes.Seems i know more than the 'experts'. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users