Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sounds (and Movies) Halting/skipping, Especially In Cubase - Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jordo

jordo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

I searched through forums but couldn't find this exact problem..

I have CUBASE SE 1.0.7 for Windows XP.

Lately my sounds have been screwed up, SOMETIMES. Yesterday cubase had no problem but today and a few days ago it was acting horribly.

Mainly on record and playback it keeps halting and skipping. It has a bad distortion sound when it does this. MP3s I play are pretty normal, though sometimes they start the halting if I am doing too much on my computer.

Also videos in windows media player and even on youtube do the same thing.

My computer isn't great and can be slow, but it wasn't until recently I was constantly having this problem. Can anyone help? I tried closing all my other programs but it was still doing this.

I have to make a recording for somebody within a few hours, so any quick help would be very appreciated.

I have a Dell PC, 930 MHz, 256 MB of ram (i know this isn't a lot, but like i said i haven't had problems before)

I have an m-audio FW 400 external sound card. Buffer size 256. M-audio recommended making the buffer size larger but my soundcard won't let me! (ie i click the "up" tab and nothing happens)

I have gone through my processes to see if there are any big weird programs running, but everything seems about normal. And even when I close many of them, this problem still exists.

Thanks so much everyone!!

Jordan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:59 PM

The problem you're having isn't going to be fixed in a few hours, not unless you get a faster processor.

I have Cubase and other musical tools too, and the reason you're having this problem all of a sudden sounds like you're doing something that is using an instrument that requires a lot of processing to make it sound correctly.

I know the signs... You already mentioned that the MP3 files play ok, .. and that's because they're already converted in the format for your computer to play, without the crackling and distortions. Here's another thing you can do to tell.

If your music is complete... save it as an MP3 file,,, then play it whatever you have. If you still here the distortions, then it's a processing problem (computer too slow) .... and if you don't here the distortion then you know that you are using an instrument that is causing this.

Either way,, by your specs,,,,, you'll have more problems... and it's NOT the program... upgrade your computer.

I use:
Cubase
GigaStudio
Nuendo
Fruityloops
Cakewalk
....etc.....

#3 jordo

jordo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:47 AM

Ok new strange development:

Not only is there halting and distorting, but even when an mp3 or something is playing there is a loud static crackling sound under it the whole time.

What on earth is happening to sound on my computer???

Jordan

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:22 AM

How long has this problem been happening?

I may not have been clear in my previous post, but what I meant to explain is that after you save the file as an MP3 format, play it in any other player that you have.

The same principal applies. If it sounds good without the distractions, then it's not your Cubase, but if it does, then you need to upgrade your computer,,,, at least your RAM for starters.

Also, try adjusting the sampling rate to a lower rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users