Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:14 PM

Hello,

I have a word document. Some words or phrases are hightlighted in grey. If I double click on these highlighted words a dialogue box appears giving me the option of selecting a different word or phrase. The highlighting does not appear on the document when you print it.

I would like to make other documents with this feature. Can anyone point me to a guide or tutorial that explains how to do this?

I am also interested in how to do templates where information can be inserted into a form without greatly affecting the overall format of the form.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:36 PM

Did you copy/paste the document into Word? If so, that could happen because of you actually copying some tags or such.

If you want the greyed out text to print, do this......

Copy the document using Edit/Select All, Then paste it into NotePad. After it's there, select it all, then copy it back into WordPad/MS Word.

Note: Doing this will remove ALL formatting of the document. (small price to pay)

Doing Templates:
If you have WordPerfect, it'll do it. I'm sure Word does it too,, but I don't recall, but you should be able to do it with MS Word. You will need to setup the fields to which you want your own data to be in, and leave the rest of the document as it is. I'm sure MS Word does it, and you'll be able to do it in just a few minutes or so.

You bring back memories of that...... creating the document,, then inserting names, addresses or whatever, in the specified fields,... thousands of documents at a time. (well, actually 1 document) but thousands of names and such.

Edited by Walkman, 30 November 2006 - 06:40 PM.

#3 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:54 PM

Hello,

The document I refered to was created precisely to do what it does. The highlighted areas do not print and I don't want them to print. It is perfect.

What I hope to learn is how to create documents like it.

Regards

Constantine

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:18 PM

If you're using MS Word, all you have to do is create a document.. exactly the way you want it,,, and then on the {fields} that you want to be dynamic,,, highlight that part of the text, then right-click on it and it should bring up a menu as to what you need to do. I'm not in MS Word right now,, but it's all too familiar.

you should be able to save it as a Template. If Not,,, a Template can be any name you specify, even down to the extension name. I Use Dreamweaver MX 2004, and the templates are saved as .dwt..... but I save my templates as the file name I want to use (.PHP)

My point?... you don't have to save a template and to use the template name/extension... and the reason I don't do it that way is because when you do save some files in their template format,, they restrict you from making changes later on to the template itself. I learned that myself from trial and error.

#5 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:58 AM

Our dialogue has led me in the right direction. What I was refering to was forms. I then found the forms tool bar and it all became apparent.

I can now create the type of forms I was after.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:41 AM

You're quite welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users