Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messenger Service Pop Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle_Beckman

Kyle_Beckman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

I'm hoping somebody can help me.

I just re-installed windows xp pro, and as soon as I connect to the internet i get a popup every min or so from "Messenger Service" saying that windows requires immediate attention. Then it says I must go to www.regfixit.com and install a registry update and reboot my computer. I'm pretty sure this is a hoax, but I'm not possitive. I have a screen print of the pop up, but I don't know how to attach it this post, I can email if you'd like

Please Help,
Kyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:06 PM

Heya Kyle, welcome to BleepingComputer.

The Windows "Messenger Service" is being exploited to spray the Internet with unsolicited commercial eMail. The receipt of a single UDP packet can cause a "Messenger Service" dialog to pop-up on the user's screen. It is possible for the sender to "spoof" (falsify) the packet's "Source IP", making these packets impossible to trace back to their origin................
Windows Messenger Service

The first thing to understand is that the Windows Messenger Service is completely different from, and not in any way related to, "MSN Messenger", "Windows Messenger", or any other well-known instant messaging system. Therefore, disabling the Windows Messenger service will have no effect upon your use of any other instant messaging applications. They will continue to work without trouble.

To block the spam is to turn off Messenger Service.

Click Start>>Settings>>Control Panel

--Double click Administrative Tools
--Double click Services
--Double click Messenger
--Under Service Status, click Stop
--In the box next to Startup Type, select Disabled
--Click Apply>>OK

Alternatively, you can download a small program that will disable Messenger Service for you Called Shoot The Messenger. It's available at: http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

David

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

You should update to SP2 as soon as possible. SP2 shuts down the Messenger Service.

In fact you can order the SP2 CD from Microsoft. If you need to reinstall XP again you could install SP2 before connecting to the Internet and not experience this problem.

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

If your XP CD isn't from HP/Compaq, eMachine or similar you could slipstream SP2 to your CD.

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 30 November 2006 - 06:42 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 Kyle_Beckman

Kyle_Beckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:17 PM

Perfect, thanks for the help

Kyle

#5 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:16 PM

You're welcome Kyle! :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

Copy the code below and paste it into Notepad. Save it as MessengerOff.reg. Then double click on it to merge it into your registry
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Messenger]
"Start"=dword:00000004

;Benefit: Disables Messenger Service which can be used to deploy unsolicited advertising popups
;NOTE: This is NOT MSN Instant Messenger

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users