Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Switching Users.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thenumber12

thenumber12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:14 PM

Hey guys, recent problem here with switching usernames. There's three accounts on my computer, all with no passwords. About three weeks ago a strange thing has been happening: the first time you start your computer and log into one of the three accounts, it'll log you in no problem. Then, when you go and switch users, it will prompt for a password that was never created, and won't let you log in. So I restarted the computer, and then I put some simple passwords on the accounts, thinking it would work. Well, the same thing happened. The first time you log in after a bootup it works, but then you get locked out again once you try switching users again.

This is where it gets even stranger. The problem stopped, you could switch users fine. "Alright!" I said, "it's finally over."

I was wrong, once you restart the computer it went back to locking me out. I'm so confused about this, and it's really frustrating. I've tried virus scans and there appears to be no problems with anything like that. I really need some assistance here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:47 AM

Try going to users in the control panel and click on switch the way users log on or off.

Whichever way you have it set, change to the other.

After you do that reboot, then go back to users and switch back.

Let us know.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

Does this system have internet capability? Hackers love systems without passwords - the majority of their work is already done for them - especially if they're Administrator accounts.

So, the first thing would be to get a free, online scan from here: http://safety.live.com/ Choose the "Full Service Scan".

Once that's done, let us know what it found and then we can get down to fixing the account login problems. One of the first steps will be to password protect those accounts with a strong password (presuming that this is caused by unauthorized access to your system - the bad guy may attempt to get back in by trying to guess your passwords (using a dictionary password cracker).

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users