Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tabbed Browsing V. Window

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Tabs v. Window (13 member(s) have cast votes)

which do you prefer

1. Tabs (10 votes [76.92%])

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

2. Window (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. indifferent (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shinobi

Shinobi

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

As an old schooler, I prefer windows, as long as you don't have the taskbar stack them. each page has its own task, and usually won't close multiple windows if one crashes. and just like stacking, you have to find which window has the page you want, then click the tab. windows you only have to click once, and you get the right one cause the title of the page is on the taskbar.

But the tab has one advantage: it groups web pages by link. If you click a link, it comes up in that window, in a tab. I suppose, if you combine the two, and open up a new window for a different web page, then I could use it, but I can't get used to it for some reason.

Let me know what you think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

I like the tabbed browsing.

I usually use one 'window' for a website, or related websites such as Bleeping computer and links I navigate to from BC. When I'm through with a site, I can close the whole works at once without having to close umpteen window screens, and I still have the other sites open for navigation.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 30 November 2006 - 02:10 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:50 PM

.....and just like stacking, you have to find which window has the page you want, then click the tab. windows you only have to click once, and you get the right one cause the title of the page is on the taskbar.

That is no longer a problem, in the latest version of Firefox (v2.0).
The tabs are a fixed width, so reading the site name isn't a problem.
Once you have so many tabs open (I believe 8), the tabs start scrolling.
Personally, I didn't like this feature, so I changed them back to the way they were in the last version.

Tabs also have much more functionality, with the use of a couple of extensions, Tabs Open Relative, and Tab To Window.
Tabs Open Relative makes all new tabs that you open from the tab your reading, open to the right of the current tab, rather than at the far right of the tab bar.
With Tab To Window, you can right click a tab, and from the dropdown, select either Move to new window, which opens the selected tab in a new window, or Copy to new window, which will copy the tab to a new window.
If you already have other windows open, you'll be given a third choice, Join to window, which will give you the option to select which window, you want to move the selected tab to.

But the tab has one advantage: it groups web pages by link. If you click a link, it comes up in that window, in a tab.

Unless you right click the link, then you have the option of a new tab, or a new window.
You can also set default, to open clicked links in a new window, by changing it in your Options, under the Tabs icon.

I suppose, if you combine the two, and open up a new window for a different web page, then I could use it, but I can't get used to it for some reason.

Thats possible, with Firefox.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:42 PM

Come on now.... let's not forget the Firefox famous

Session Restore/Restore Tabs function.

You can have many tabs open, and your computer can crash, or you can simply shut down windows or whatever, and when you click to launch Firefox, it'll ask you if you want to open up your last session. And that means every-single tab you had opened the last time.

I don't even have to worry about sites I've been to, but didn't get a chance to bookmark or such... Firefox will do it for you. Great feature.

I must admit it too... I don't like that scrolling of the tabs off the screen. I'm a tester for sure. I know the last version of Firefox, I had at least 20+ tabs opened, all fit on the screen.. without any scrolling,, AND with different colors. I use Colorful Tabs, and I have Tab Mix Plus.

Firefox is the browser of choice for me.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

I like tabs and Firefox is more secure
But if you must have IE as I must on my Commodities trading PC . IE7 has Tabs
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

Walkman,
If you want to revert back to the way tabs use to work, but still use the latest version of Ff, start a new topic asking what you want done, and I'll explain how to do it by modifying about:config.
I can show you how to stop the tabs from scrolling, and move the close tab button, to the end of the tab bar, eliminating it from taking up room on the tabs.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

Ever since I found tabs with Opera many years ago I haven't been able to go back. I just love 'em!

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:53 PM

Walkman,
If you want to revert back to the way tabs use to work, but still use the latest version of Ff, start a new topic asking what you want done, and I'll explain how to do it by modifying about:config.
I can show you how to stop the tabs from scrolling, and move the close tab button, to the end of the tab bar, eliminating it from taking up room on the tabs.

tg1911...... I love you for this one.... You're the greatest...... you got me smiling ear-to-ear right now.... I dislike this new tabbing.

I'll start a new one pronto.

Thank you very much.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:57 PM

You're quite welcome, Walkman.

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

I use both tabs and additional windows, but rely primarily on tabs.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:07 AM

I love Firefox's tabs!
Speaking of which, there is a neat little extension that gives a color to all of your Firefox tabs.
Colorful Tabs
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1368/
:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#12 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:34 AM

For me it is Firefox all the wayPosted Image
Also now with IE7 still being `so/so `i remain with IE6 for my updates but for the rest FF rules. So no morePosted Image or no morePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users