Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An Mpeg4- Audio Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wintal

Wintal

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:41 AM

Howdy,

I just downloaded an MPEG4 and whenever I try open it with quick time, it says 'Error 50- Unknown Error' and closes. When I open it with Windows Media Player or DivX, It plays, however with no sound. Which is annoying, considering it's a 1.3GB video. Any suggestions, I upgraded my DivX and my Quick Time is up to date.

Thank you in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:04 AM

This looks like a codec problem. Download Gspot here. After installing go via render to your file and it will tell you what you miss. If you need help in locating the right codec let me know

#3 Wintal

Wintal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:09 AM

I hope it is only but a codec problem and not a faulty download :thumbsup:

Due to being an Mpeg4, G-Spot isn't compatable with it :flowers:

Edited by Wintal, 30 November 2006 - 08:12 AM.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

Posted Image.. OK Do you have the H.264 codec on your machine and any Dvix or Xvid codec?

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:29 PM

Try these:

1. VideoLan http://www.videolan.org
2. And all of these from http://www.free-codecs.com
a. MediaPlayer Alternative
b. RealPlayer Alternative
c. QuickTime Alternative
d. K-Lite (codec package)

The VideoLan is probably the best FREE video watching software out there. It'll play more formats than most others.

All of the (Alternative) players should be what you should be using, and NOT any of those other players that you mentioned. When you go to Free Codecs web site, you'll see in the left hand side of the web page the links to those tools. Use them,, and you'll be safer too (loading files). The tools you use monitor your files when you load them in, and report it back to the Internet.

You may also need to get a few other tools too. But one that should work for you is Xilisoft Video Converter. What this tool is good for is that it'll take your file, and convert it to that same format again for you, eliminating the problems. I use it myself for files that don't convert, and (or) play in one software, and does for the other.

Also, keep in mind that everyone don't convert properly and it can cause you to think the file is bad or corrupted. That's not always the case. Sometimes you have to re-convert them.

You may even have to separate the audio/video, then use another tool to combine them back together.

But first, try the tools I've mentioned, and it may solve your issue.

Note: When you hear audio in one program but not the other, it could be a codec issue,, and it could also be that the audio is on a different channel than the software/tools you're using... rendering it without any sound.

#6 Wintal

Wintal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

Video Lan VLC worked! :D

Thank you very much Walkman, I commend you for being so helpful, and same to Fozzie.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:02 PM

You're quite welcome!

Glad it worked. If you noticed, movies played in VideoLan are crispier and sharper, and cleaner than any other software.... at least the ones I've used so far. And I've used every mainstream media player out there, and a few others too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users