Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Prevent Hacking On A Ftpserver

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abnerdog

abnerdog

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:06 AM

my brother has created an ftp server and it keeps gettin hacked by http://222.62.149.99/ is there a way to prevent him hacking it without beeing at the computer making sure he doesn't a 100% of the time and if possibe id like to give him a taste of his own medicine and return the favor

if you have any ideas please email me.

//Mod edit to remove email address protecting you from spamming

Edited by KoanYorel, 30 November 2006 - 03:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:58 AM

You need to tell us what software you are using. Most can easily block an IP or IP range, but you may want to make sure that the software is patched and that the entire OS hasn't been compromised.

My advice: Reinstall the OS and don't put the FTP live until it is 100% updated and locked down.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

You mean besides adding a rule at the firewall to block that IP?

if possibe id like to give him a taste of his own medicine and return the favor

As annoyed as you may be, the law doesn't care who swung first. If you do something that damages or compromises someone else's personal property, you are equally guilty.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:59 PM

Hi abnerdog,

Well if it makes you feel any better whoever that is that's doing the hacking is coming at you from China, don't you feel special now?
Good luck,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users