Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ymk

ymk

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:30 AM

On start up i get "CFSServ.exe has encountered a problem" What should i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:32 AM

Hi ymk.

Check this out http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:10 AM

cfsserv.exe is a process belonging to Toshiba's ConfigFree utility and searches for Wireless Devices.

Try uninstalling it, rebooting then reinstalling it.

#4 ymk

ymk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:54 PM

The problem with ConfigFree started when I accidently uninstalled it through Control , add/remove. I used system restore to try to roll back, and that was when CFSServ.exe error started. Also, now, when I try to use ConfigFree it starts up with the DIAGNOSING ICON , then a message ' diagnostics data open error', and then gives me a message 'cfmain.exe has encountered a problem and has to close" I have now downloaded and run 'Autoruns' and disabled ' CFSServ.exe ' so that message doesn't appear. I don't know how to reinstall ConfigFree if I uninstall it again as it came preinstalled on my Toshiba Pro100 laptop, and is apparently on the recovery disk. I assumed it could only be done by completely reinstalling my system. I would like to have the program but have it disabled for the time being, as I am trying to set up a wireless network connection and I believe the controlling programs are conflicting. I have also disabled windows zero cofig, so that I only have
INTEL PRO WIRELESS. Is this info enlightening or confusing?

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:45 PM

Why not try to get it to install again....?... even if you've gotten errors. Sometimes reinstalling programs after a problem occurs can sometimes cure it.

From what you explained, you're not going to do any harm by trying to reinstall the program. Try it.

Tip: Whenever you uninstall programs and you still have problems/issues.... NEVER go directly to the System Restore to restore the OS/Programs.... It's bad enough that Windows has flaws anyway.. (like everything else)... but what I believe is happening is that you're now confusing the OS as to the Restore Point it should be at, because of the remnants of the other program(s).

The Restore Point restores your computer to a previous state, but it doesn't delete the data from programs that you Uninstall (some)... and that can contribute to the problems.

Another Tip:
Whenever you uninstall programs, and you want to be sure it's not lingering around, use a registry cleaner to delete those other files. It'll save you a ton of headaches and aggravations.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:27 PM

Try going to Toshiba support and download the program:

You can download it here:
http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportS...0%200%207077243

Edited by Enthusiast, 30 November 2006 - 10:41 PM.

#7 ymk

ymk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for your interest. I will try re installing configfree and see what happens. What do you recommend for a registry cleaner?

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:08 AM

Registry Cleaner (Eusing)
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm

Works great. And it's FREE. It'll find a lot of bad entries if you have them and remove them from your registry. That's probably where your problem is. The registry is still trying to load that program, or at least reference to it.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:26 AM

Registry cleaners, unless you are an expert at the registry, are all inherently dangerous and even those considered relatively safe (like CCleaner) can hose your system or make changes advised against by Microsoft.

The only registry utility (actually it is far more than just a registry cleaner) I would recommend to anyone but a registry expert is to use the Windows One-Care free scan which has a registry cleaner incorporated in it.

The difference between this scan and any of the other registry utilities is that One Care is designed specifically for Windows XP by the same folks who wrote XP, not a third party.
Since Microsoft wrote and designed XP, their products designed to work with it are far more preferrable and far less likely to let you make a mistake from which you can't recover or would have tremendous difficulty in doing so.

Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Windows Explorer only)
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#10 ymk

ymk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:21 AM

Thanks for your help. I downloaded ConfigFree as advised. I tried to uninstall the old version, but it wouldn't let me, so I installed the new copy anyway and so far everything seems good. I also used the Windows One Care as advised and it found heaps of info that it needed to delete. So far all seems well. Thanks again, I am impressed with the user friendly nature of your site. :thumbsup:

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:06 AM

You are very welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users