Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Transfer Wizard

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chris6690

chris6690

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

i have a laptop and a desk top. i am trying to move files off of my laptop and onto the desktop. i am trying to use the file and settings transfer wizard but i am unable to make it work. i have windows XP on both computers and both are up to date as far as i know. i also am using the correct link cable. when i attempt to connect the two i get no response as far as an achieved connection. i have tried everything including creating my own network, which i also could not get to work. i am really frustrated and hence i am posting on this site. any idea will be helpful. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:36 PM

have you given each computer an I.P. address so they can talk to each other?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:34 PM

well i have it set to automatically choce an ip but if you think i should set it manualy i could but i dont know what to set it to. suggestions?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

Are both these computers updated to SP2?

Exactly how are you connecting the two computers together? Are they networked using a router - or null modem cable - or ?

Have you used the "Network Setup Wizard" in the control panels of both computers?

Do you have the computers set for filesharing?

#5 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:59 AM

both are up to date with SP2. i am using a null modem cable or a crossover cable, whatever you want to cal it. as far a i know both are set for file sharing. as far the network setup wizard i have tried that. i do not have control of my main internet access as i am at college. i figure that is probably the reson the network didnt work. but i can just not figure out why the transfer wizard would not work.

#6 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

wait do i have to have "file and printer sharing for microsoft networks" installed for my network connection or not? and if so which section, protocol ,client or server?

Edited by chris6690, 30 November 2006 - 12:16 PM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:26 AM

If you used the networking wizard all the settings should have been done.

In any case, the following should help:
How To Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305621/en-us

#8 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

my laptop wont allow me to seclect the "connect directly to another computer" option. does this mean i cant do it at all. is there maybe some setting that i have to change to allow this. also when i try and select thre "accept incoming connection" option it dosnt creat the connection it just say program not responding.

#9 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

im going to assume that since i havnt gotten a response in days that i can not do it. thanks

#10 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

Windows XP Network Troubleshooting

Windows XP Network Protocols
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:00 PM

The lack of response usually indicates that you've exceeded the knowledge of the folks that are following this thread. Not having anything useful to contribute, we usually wait to see if anyone else has some input.

I subscribe to the "No Thread Left Behind" school. That is, if it's marked as "Unread" in my browser, I have to take a look at it. Unfortunately, being gone for 2 days it takes me ˝ day just to read this one (and I follow at least 4 or 5 other forums here - and another 4 or 5 separate forums on the web.)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users