Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Safe To Renew Your Ip Address?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:53 PM

Hi All:

I've just run across a way of changing an IP Address but what I'm wondering is whether it's safe to do this:

http://itinfo.mit.edu/answer.php?id=1159

Q: How do I release and renew my IP address on my computer?

For Windows 2000 and XP

1. Select Start>Run

2. Type cmd.exe
Result: A DOS-like command line window appears.

3. In the command line window, type ipconfig /release (make sure there is a space between 'ipconfig' and '/release')

Result: If you already have an IP address, it will change to 0.0.0.0. If you do not have an IP address, you will be told that all addresses have already been released.

4. In the command line window, type ipconfig /renew (again, making sure there is a space between 'ipconfig' and '/renew')

Result: You should have successfully acquired a new IP address, something like 18.X.Y.Z where X, Y, and Z are numbers.

So far as I know an IP Address is assigned by one's ISP and I thought that only they had control over it.

Is there any danger of messing up my connection if I change it? And what are the reasons for changing it?

Cheers,

scratcher.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:42 AM

Basically all it does is force the system to gain a new DHCP assigned IP address. This can also be performed through the network connections box. Right Click on the Network Device and click repair. This will do the Release the Renew without needing the command prompt.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

This depends on your actual network. If you use a router to allow multiple computers to use your network then renewing your IP only goes as far as the router.

#4 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:00 AM

ive done this many times and its been "safe" notin has happened or anything....
oh and i didnt put the .exe part on cmd.exe i just went start->run ->cmd then i typed in ipconfig/release-> let it load a sec then typed in ipconfig/renew
nothin has happened from this so i would say its "safe"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

It's safe. If it fails, then there's other problems with your network that'll need to be looked into.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Migizi

Migizi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:21 PM

Generally speaking it is safe to release and renew your IP address. In most cases you will get back the very same IP address you just released. To learn more about IP addresses read on..... :trumpet:

In most cases the IP address is assigned to your workstation via a server that is given the job of keeping track of how many workstations have IP addresses and how long they get to have them. This server is called a DHCP server and is given the exact number of workstations it's allowed to give IP addresses to and for how long the workstation can have the assigned IP address. If it's allowed to give out 100 IP addresses and you are the 101st requestor, you will not get an IP address until one becomes available. But it's rare that this happens since the DHCP server is generally given the clearance to give out way more IP addresses than expected requestors. :flowers:

IP addresses are like postal addresses, only they work on networks. Your postal address is unique to you and it allows you to send and receive postal mail. IP addresses are simular in that when you request something from a web site your unique IP address is the return address to your workstation. The web site that you sent a request to will send the requested information back to your workstation via your unique IP address. :thumbsup:

The two most common IP address types are "private" and "public" IP addresses. The private IP addresses are only used on Local Area Networks (LAN's). LAN's are a collection of computers (workstations) which share a common network using a private addressing schema. LAN private IP addresses are not allowed on the Internet, which is a Wide Area Network (WAN) bacause private IP addresses are not routable addresses, meaning they cannot be routed across the Internet. LAN's connect to the Internet via routers which have a public IP address and public IP addresses are routable which means they are allowed on the Internet. There are too many workstations (like your home computer) globally to give all the workstations public routable IP addresses, so generally only routers and other simular devices have public IP addresses. All the private IP addresses on the LAN, even if it's only one workstation on the LAN, will be converted by the router to the public IP address assigned to the router before it goes out on the Internet. This way the web site request will be sent over the Internet by the router even though the workstation is assigned a private IP address. :cool:

If you have the DHCP server option turned on in either the switch or router you use to connect to the Internet (it usually is turned on since that's the factory default for most switches and routers), you will normally get a private (dynamic) IP address which has the first three octets simular to the first three in this IP address 192.168.0.XXX with a number from 1 to 254 in place of the XXX's in the last octet. The last octet (the XXX's) will vary depending on which PC you are acquiring the IP information if you have several workstations on the LAN. If for some reason your workstation has some other configured IP address other than the 192.168.0.XXX then you may have a specifically assigned (static) IP address or an automatically assigned IP (APIPA) address assigned by your operating system. :)

You can search for more information about IP addressing on the Internet and in this forum if I have confused you..... :)

However, If this post helped one person understand how IP addressing works then my efforts were achieved.... :inlove:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users