Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:03 PM

Hi folks,

Just a quick question to all of you.

Do you think AVG does it's job or is there a better free anti-virus out there. I have my own opinion but wanted to ask you all what you think.

Cheers,

Craig
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:22 AM

I would have to say that AVG is recognised as a good antivirus but my own preference is for AVAST. I've tried several but now have found no reason to change again.

Cheers :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:19 AM

A choise between Avast and AVG is just the "gut feeling "you have. I use both AVG anti spyware and Antivirus and they do a fine job for me?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:10 AM

AVG works good for me.
Haven't had any problems with it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:40 AM

Which AV is "better" often comes down to personal preferences. No AV is absolutely perfect and none will give you 100 per cent protection. AVG is widely used (at least here at BC), updates are frequent and easy to install, and the interface is fairly straight-forward.
I use AVG and fairly frequently scan my PC with various on-line anti-virus applications; at no time have any of these found malware that AVG has missed.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Shinobi

Shinobi

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

I'm happy with avg. The free version stops more than most AV software you pay for. I used Ewido, and now AVG anti-spy, and will continue to do so until AVG screws it up (unlikely) or stops letting me use it for free.

ps: AVG has just about the smallest footprint I can find, at least for its performance.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:48 PM

Shinobi:

There's a difference between anti-spyware and anti-virus, and you need both on your computer. ComputerWhizz7 was asking about AV.

I personally use Avast for my AV because it can scan incoming IMAP mail and AVG can't.

You could also try each one out one at a time and see which you prefer.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:59 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I have gone for avast and it does a great job.

Thanks again.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#9 scotty38

scotty38

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:00 PM

I use AVG free but i keep getting mesages from AVG telling me that AVG 7.5 free will be finished in january 2007 has anyone else had this message?

might have to try out avast or buy AVG pro

scotty

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,987 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

Scotty38----I believe you are misreading the message. I actually installed the latest AVG 7.5 Antivirus yesterday over the AVG 7.1??AV that I had. I think they made changes to the old version to accomodate Vista.
The install on this computer seems to have gone smoothly and no problems to report.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 scotty38

scotty38

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

I will wait till i get the message again and read it this time i think lol

scotty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users