Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up A Server

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikeyy

mikeyy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:51 PM

I have an older computer with 10 gig hard-drive. I want to use it as a server for my exsisting network. I have a newer computer with windows XP hardwired to the internet and a laptop with windows XP on wireless. I want my older computer to be the first computer that incoming internet hits. I already have an ethernet card in the computer but I m wondering what else I need. Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:56 AM

I am sorry but I cant really see how this would be of an advantage to you if you are only using 3 pc's. Basically yes you could add a server in between the PC and the Wireless Router. This however will get segrigate the PC and not the laptop that will be connecting via wireless.

If you wanted a full solution you would need to install the wireless gateway between the server and the PC's. This would mean you would need to find a alternative source to supply the internet conection. Say a non wireless ADSL Router. You would also need 2 ethernet connections on the server.

If you explain the sort of thing you are hoping to achieve by doing this then maybe we can come up with a more suitable solution.
Posted Image

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:24 AM

A server may be a good solution if you want to control all network activity through 1 PC. All the settings are in one place and it makes the use of network resources (and their administration) much easier.

That being said, they're a PITA to get working right (In My Limited Opinion).

To me the main advantage is in being able to block/allow internet access as I see fit (beyond what the router offers). But there are tools that will do this much more easily on smaller networks. And, there are also tools that will let you administer the PC's remotely. Finally, it allow you to setup an effective security setup that users cannot monkey with.

My interest in setting up a network is mainly for the experience in doing it (I've got a PC slated for this purpose right now). But, in the beginning, expect lot's of problems as unforeseen little things crop up (not to mention the users complaining at you).

Edited by usasma, 04 December 2006 - 11:25 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users