Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Computer, Too Many Choices!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 kevin92

kevin92

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

Hi, I'm in the market for a new computer, and I have some knowledge of what to be looking for, but I need some assistance in which one is right for me. I found this computer http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...1647&catid= which I think is a good choice at that price.

Also, regarding that computer, is it a bad idea to be buying a refurbished computer?

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:57 PM

Before we can even begin to give advice, it would be useful for us to know the kinds of things for which you will be using the computer, and what price-range you have.

Purchasing a refurbished computer is only a good idea if there is a decent warranty, and it is done by a reputable company. Generally, computers are returned for either major reasons, or simply silly ones; the problem is that you don't know which.
Generally, there are very good sales during the next few weeks, especially as retailers want to dump non-Vista ready computers, or get customers to purchase one ready for Vista, but wait for the installation.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 29 November 2006 - 08:00 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

I'd be using it for games, (counter-strike, war rock etc.) a lot of music, and movies too. No movie editing or anything though. I was thinking I should get one right on boxing day. I should probably go for Intel Core 2 Duo too right? How much GHZ do you think is adequate for a gaming computer?

#4 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:47 PM

Good news, just got an okay on a budget, anywhere from $1000-2000. So now we know what we can work with :thumbsup:

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:59 PM

1000-2000$ would be a good buget for a high end computer. :thumbsup:. Havce you considered building one yourself. That way it'd be perfeclty suited for your needs, and the way you desire.

Do you already have a good monitor, speakers or peripherals?

Edited by protozero, 29 November 2006 - 11:00 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

I don't ahve any experience in building, so that would be a problem. No, im looking for a whole new system.

#7 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:11 AM

I don't ahve any experience in building, so that would be a problem. No, im looking for a whole new system.

Where do you live. We need to first establish where you can buy your computer from.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:39 AM

Where do you live. We need to first establish where you can buy your computer from.

If you look at the site that the link takes you to and use the store locator you will see that they are in Canada, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, and Labrador.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

I live in Hamilton, Ontario, which if you don't know is right outside of Toronto.

#10 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:10 PM

Canada, I'm in Quebec. :D You'll have to buy your stuff from TigerDirect or Ebay. TigerDirect are pretty good, I've had some good experiances with them, fairly fast ( 5 days ) and pretty good prices. I've ordered stuff from Ebay, but not computer parts, but I'vve known of peopel that have had good luck from Ebay buying computer parts.

And building a computer is pretty easy, if you know what you're doing, perhaps as hard as a semi-big Lego set, but less pieces.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#11 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:01 PM

Yep i agree, build it yourself. For $1-$2k you could build a very nice gaming PC.

Look at my sig below, you could build that for alot less than $2K

#12 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:43 PM

I live in Hamilton, Ontario, which if you don't know is right outside of Toronto.

Ok, that's perfect. This means you can buy from NCIX.

They have alot of great deals there, and best of all, they can assemble your computer for you. It costs $50 and they give you a 1 year warranty. Anything goes wrong, just take it back and they'll fix it or replace the broken hardware for free.

Here, I built one for you. You'll have to add fans, moniter, speakers, keyboards and what not. But the basic hardware is there. Also, there should be an NCIX in Hamilton. It's much better to buy in person, then you can ask the employees there to help you finetune it and ensure that everything works. Don't forget to add case fans as well.

http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?act...platformid=1000

It says $1600, but that's not including the sale prices, and rebates. I'd say, after instant savings and rebates, it'll be less than $1500.

EDIT: chiefmastjedi. He lives in Canada, so 2k canadian is different from 2k american. The 8800GTX costs around $700-$800 in CAD.

Edited by Detox, 30 November 2006 - 08:44 PM.

#13 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for putting that together, but wouldn't something like this be just as good, plus it comes with a monitor.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...1618&catid=

#14 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for putting that together, but wouldn't something like this be just as good, plus it comes with a monitor.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...1618&catid=

Hell no. Mine's much better. The processor, ram, HD, videocard, motherboard, PSU, case, just about everything in that HP computer is worse than mine.

And if you're gonna buy a moniter, buy LCD. There is no reason for ANYONE to buy CRT.

Edited by Detox, 01 December 2006 - 07:04 PM.

#15 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:44 PM

Both ram are 2GB, my hard drive is 500GB, your's is 320GB, and your's lacks a soundcard, and monitor. Unless there's something im missing?

Wait, I just noticed you have a monitor on there, but it's CRT...now im confused :S

Edited by kevin92, 01 December 2006 - 09:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users