Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Download Torrents Or P2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HEL_Master

HEL_Master

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

Since i moved to the halls of residence for my college, and connected to the internet there i have been unable to download from limewire or any other p2ps or torrent download programs, i know it has nothign to do with a firewall because i can do other things like connect to online games etc, and we have no blocking of any pages. We are free to use the internet however we want. Is there any solution to this, IF a torrent downloads atall it is very slow (usually at a rate of 5kbsps) and it has plenty of seeders.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 29 November 2006 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:54 PM

Do you have a software firewall? Even though you can use games that doesn't mean the firewall is letting BT through. I'd disable it completely and see what happens.

#3 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

It is the same with EVERY computer connected to the internet here. So it has nothing to do with firewalls.

#4 thejokerdogg

thejokerdogg

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:01 PM

I'd say the college blocked that stuff?

#5 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

IF a torrent downloads atall it is very slow (usually at a rate of 5kbsps) and it has plenty of seeders.

That is very interesting. So you're saying that you can download from these services... just slowly? Maybe they are throttling your connection?

It is the same with EVERY computer connected to the internet here. So it has nothing to do with firewalls.

That is good information to know, but I don't see that in your first post. It sounds like your school may have changed policies and blocked known P2P and Torrent ports. Just because you can play games doesn't mean that a firewall isn't blocking other ports.

#6 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

I doubt it has anything to do with the college, you can access all sorts of horrible things on the internet but not p2p? Sounds stupid..

Im taking it that there is no solution to this problem either?

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:33 PM

Why don't you ask those who would know? Like the Admin. or? Surely someone could answer your question. :thumbsup:

That is good information to know, but I don't see that in your first post. It sounds like your school may have changed policies and blocked known P2P and Torrent ports. Just because you can play games doesn't mean that a firewall isn't blocking other ports.

Good points all.

Edited by Scarlett, 29 November 2006 - 07:46 PM.

Posted Image

#8 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:55 PM

If everyone asked the admin what would be the point in the forum?

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

Because the above could be a real possibility. And there is only one way to find out.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users