Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smss.exe?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

I'm doing a reinstall, not a total reinstall just a reinstall of XP and I'm trying to put the SP 2 back on and it won't allow me to do that. It keeps spitting up, close down C:\\windows\System 32\smss.exe before installing SP 2.

In a search smss.exe seems to be associated with "Windows NT Session Manager". Does anyone know what this program is , how to access it and how to shut it off? I tried Task Manager and it states that smss.exe is a critical program and can not be shut down. So how do I install SP 2 now that I have this never before did I have this problem?

Anyone? Please and Thank you.

Sincerely,

John :thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

I'm doing a reinstall, not a total reinstall just a reinstall of XP
Do you mean you are performing a repair install...or do you have your disk partitioned?
and I'm trying to put the SP 2 back on and it won't allow me to do that. It keeps spitting up, close down C:\\windows\System 32\smss.exe before installing SP 2.
...and that sounds like SP2 is already installed...if you do in fact have the disk partitioned, this is most likely the case.
The smss.exe is a Windows Core file that manages your sessions (smss=Session Manager Subsystem). Now, if the file you mentioned was truly located elsewhere, you would indeed have a problem.

Can you post back and explain in greater detail exactly what it is that you are trying to accomplish...i.e. Repair Install or re-installing to a different partition? Thanks!

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:50 PM

Try installing it in Safe Mode.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:02 AM

Hi,

I'm back and can respond to your comments. By the way thanks for them. It was a repair (re-)install and not a total reinstall or a partition install that I'm after. I did not partition and do not have any partitions on my Hard Drive. So SP 2 was on the PC when I began this procedure. I don't remember ever having this problem before but then I've usually only done a total reinstall.

Sense this repair install I haven't been able to put SP 2 back on the PC even though it keeps spitting out that it needs the update. I am experiencing a number of errors that all the reports on them indicate will be resolved with SP 2. So, I've taken it for granted that SP 2 is no longer on my PC. If you happen to know something different please do let me know.

Every attempt to install SP 2 meets with the same result. The file in question located at C:\\windows\System 32\smss.exe is either open or in use by another program, please close that program first before attempting installation. Again, in a search smss.exe seems to be associated with "Windows NT Session Manager". I can go right to the smss.exe file but can't delete it or even figure out how to find "Windows NT Session Manage" to shut it down. I have shut down any and all startup window files that will shut down at msconfig but nothing seems to work. One windows file that I can't shut down is ctfmon.exe. It probably doesn't have anything to do with this anyhow, I think.

There is a blue star on the links bar at the bottom telling me that my XP is no longer up to date. And both a CD version and the downloaded version of SP 2 have this same result. Starting on safe mode also doesn't make a difference.

So this is a repair install that I'm trying to accomplish not a partition install or total reinstall.

This is all the info that I can think of. I hope that it will help determine what is up here. I would like to get my PC fully functional asap. And I do appreciate any response that you may have. Thank you and thanks again.

John

Albert Einstein.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:40 AM

I have no idea if this will help with your problems. I found it a long time ago and saved it, but I haven't had to use it. It is a long article, but it has pictures too.

InformationWeek

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option

Fred Langa shows you how to completely rebuild, repair, or refresh an existing XP installation without losing data, and without having to reinstall user software, reformat, or otherwise destructively alter the setup.

By Fred Langa, InformationWeek
June 19, 2006
URL: http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=189400897

Fred Langa: It's one of those software design decisions that makes you scratch your head and wonder, "What were they thinking?"

The "it" in this case is XP's most powerful rebuild/repair option, and yet Microsoft chose to hide it behind seeming dead ends, red herrings, and a recycled interface that makes it hard to find and (at first) somewhat confusing to use.

But it's worth exploring because this option lets you completely and nondestructively rebuild, repair, or refresh an existing XP installation while leaving already-installed software alone (no reinstallation needed!). It also leaves user accounts, names, and passwords untouched and takes only a fraction of the time a full, from-scratch reinstall does. And unlike a traditional full reinstall, this option doesn't leave you with two copies of XP on your hard drive. Instead, you end up with just the original installation, but repaired, refreshed, and ready to go. ...

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:02 AM

It seems you cannot "reinstall SP2" because it may already be installed.

What did you use to accomplish the repair installation?

If it was a Windows Installation disk that included SP2 no further action is necessary. If it did not include SP2 you should create a slipstreamed copy that does.

If your original installation was installed by the computer's manufacture as an image that included SP2, and you used the manufacturer's restore cd to repair your installation, SP2 will already be installed.

Open your add/remove programs applet in your control panel.
If there is an entry to remove SP2 you can do so and then reboot and reinstall it either through Windows Update or with a cd provided by Microsoft for this purpose.
If there is not an entry in add/remove to remove it and your version already has SP2 it is already installed and if there is a problem resulting from SP2 only a full format and fresh install will replace it.

Your best course of action may be to seek support from Microsoft.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Since support for any problem involving Windows Updates is free you might do well to seek their support.

In addition to the phone number/s above, you can seek support by going to the Windows Update or Microsoft Update site (whichever is your default) and clicking "Seek Help and Support" on the left side of the page.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

Microsoft refers to a repair installation as a reinstallation (also as a in-place upgrade): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

It appears that SP2 is already installed on your system. If so, the most common solution to this is to remove it using the Add/Remove Programs applet (ensure that "show updates" is checked).

If it's not there, then it's most likely that SP2 was slipstreamed into the installation disk for your system (by the maker of the disk). In that case there appears to be no ready way to remove SP2.

Microsoft provides this detailed guide on the installation of SP2 that may be of assistance to you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875364/

Another option is to try running the SFC.EXE /SCANNOW command from the Run dialog - that may get around the problem by replacing some of the protected system files that may be interfering with this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help, especially usasma. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341 has a link that leads to another MS site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900871/ which gives instruction to integrate SP 2 to XP so that I could do another repair install - re installation - in-place upgrade without having to do a total reinstall. And it's working great! So usasma thanks, your advice seems to have gotten me to what I need.

If anyone ever has this problem just check out the advice given to me here and especially the links here and from usasma.

Thanks again.

Edited by Johnz414, 02 December 2006 - 05:44 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users