Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do You Recycle?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

We dont really but we do recycle all our aluminum cans and yesterday we recycled several cardboard boxes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:18 PM

We do recycle, mainly because living in an apartment now makes it so easy. (There is several very large containers clearly marked 'Newspaper', 'Cardboard', 'Plastics', 'Glass' etc.).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

I wrote speech last year for competition that laid out the problems that the recycling campaigns have started. Namely they overemphasize recycling and ignore reducing and reusing. Originally, the entire three-pronged method was advocated to help the environment. Recycling alone actually can do more damage because of the processes and expenses needed.

In Ottawa, Ontario, Canada for instance they ditched a city-wide recycling program because it was far too expensive and citizens weren't doing enough to reduce and reuse. I think they probably have it back in place now, but it was a hot issue last year.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

I do a lot of reducing and reusing and composting. I also recycle.

Household size = 2 people

Trash = 30 gallon bag once every 3 or 4 months or even longer.

Recycling = a trip to the recycling center about once a month with a trunkful of stuff.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

We actually recycle alot but that is mostly because it is so easy. We have a big rolling recycling container (Not sure of the size... but the same size as a garbage container that a truck pics up from the side...) And we recycle all the cardboard boxes, tin cans ect...

#6 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:55 PM

We have step one of recycling down to perfection, you know the sorting part. No one ever remembers that they have to take it to the recycling center until there's no room left in our apartment!!
:thumbsup:
Usually head down there every couple of months, maybe 4-5 :flowers:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:57 PM

I read if you recycle one glass jar like the mayo comes in it can save enough power to run your tv for 3 hours.

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:03 PM

Plus two other things that are really good with our recycling program is there is no sorting required my us... they sort it so people are more willing to just say it can be recycled put it in the blue bin...

And second of all the recycling bin is closer then the garbage can so you don't have to walk as far :thumbsup:

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,146 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:17 PM

I recycle
I noticed that it appears to work better rurally. As the sorting seems to work better. In the city I see all sorts of things comingled. Some folk have no clue. Some days when it's windy and/or rainy ,I see a huge mess of blown around debris.
I also agree with the earlier post that it seems way to expensive to be efficient.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:21 PM

Does anyone remember when the special garbage bags came out - the ones that were supposed to decompose and save the world from billions of plastic garbage bags dumped into the earth? And it turned out they only did that if exposed to air/sunlight. Sigh. (I cringe when I think of the extra money we paid for these bags!).

silmaril8n has a great point about there being mixed reviews regarding recycling. Hard to know anymore as I think of recyling right up there with one minute coffee is bad for us and now it's good for us, etc - government/medical seems to change their mind constantly.

In the interim, I'll keep recycling (about the only thing I re-use is glass jars - great for storing small amounts of left-over paint, etc) but things out free newspapers constantly arriving, out they go into the recycle bin. (Ever tried that 'save money and the earth tip' about cleaning one's windows with newspaper for a "sparkling shine"? Yuck! Windows didn't sparkle and I couldn't get the newsprint ink off my hands!).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:15 PM

Well I think if we bought more stuff that was put in glass and paper then it would help a bunch.

Paper rots and glass is easy to recycle.

Plastic takes over 200 years I read to fully rot down.

I even read now that they are making edible items but I have done forgot what for.

Keeping old newspapers and shredding them makes good mulch by the way.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:22 AM

I believe it is in everybodys best interest to keep this planet as clean as possible.
By recycling we are reducing rubbish in landfills.Almost every bit of rubbish in a
normal house can be recycled.Even rotting food scraps can be put in a compost
bin and used for fertilizing the garden,when broken down.Plastic bags are no more
a hazard than anything else,if people disposed of them in a responsible manner.
Most plastics can be recycled quite easily.A plastics information link below.
Its sad when you see amimals strangled to death from plastic bags.

http://www.wasteonline.org.uk/resources/In...ts/Plastics.htm

DSTM.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:13 PM

I cut down on a lot of stuff by not buying stuff in packages. Packaging material is such a hassle.

I buy herbs, spices, flour, beans, baking powder and grain in bulk and just refill the same containers over and over. I bring canvas bags to the grocery store. Paper or plastic? Canvas. I don't put fresh produce in plastic bags. I put it loose in the grocery cart or basket, then transfer to a string bag or something.

Newspapers can be reformed into small pots that can be used instead of peat pots. They can also be spread out flat and used in layers in lasagna gardening. There is a book with that title by the way.

Better yet, read the newspaper in the library :flowers:

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users