Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only Person Using Pc But All These Xtra File Folders?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowMeph

ShadowMeph

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

ok I am not a total nube to computers but there are some things that I am not sure about, for instance I am the only one that uses my pc I have turned of the secondary login but when I look in C:\Documents and Settings I see other folders like ADMINI~1~000
SIR NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY.000 NetworkService.NT AUTHORITY all users default user local service
some of the folders looks the same only with different dates on them. I am wondering what all of these are and if I can get rid of some of these because when I look inside of the folders they seem to be the same and my disk space (120 GB) is at 80 % but I don't really have allot of vid or other files that would take up that kind of space

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:39 PM

I suspect you have an HP product (perhaps Dell)...Have you used the System Recovery function since you've owned the computer?

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#3 ShadowMeph

ShadowMeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:42 PM

I used to but it uses a little memory so I have disabled it

#4 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

No...I mean, have you used it to either restore to a previous time or to recover the system to it's factory installed condition at one or more times in the past?

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

The .000 files/folders are usually the remnants of an old install of Windows - an having restored the system may have caused this.

PS - I live about 5 miles from the USCG Academy in New London, CT.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ShadowMeph

ShadowMeph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

I used to but it uses a little memory so I have disabled it

Along time ago I Used it but not for the past 6 months.

#7 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:55 PM

You can check those files against the ones that appear to be their equal. Check the folder properties for the creation date. The most recent date is also likely the most current user profile but not necessarily so. To be sure, click start-->run...then in the run box, type or copy and paste the following:
%userprofile%
then click "OK".

The window that opens will be your current active user profile. Now that you know your current active user profile's accurately identified folder name, navigate to that folder and right click on it. Check the creation date of THAT folder with the dates of the other folders that you wanted to investigate.

When you find the folder matching the date of your user profile, check to see if there are any files there that do not appear in the other folder that you now KNOW to be the most current version's folder.
If there are, copy those files over to your most current folder. Once finished with this process, you should be able to safely delete any of those other folders.

To try and simplify what I'm saying:
Let's say to facilitate this instruction, you've determined your user profile to be
ShadowMeph and that folder's properties was found to have the creation date of 7/1/2006...that folder would be located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\ShadowMeph

By checking the other folders you suspect are old, you found that the admin folder located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\ADMINISTRATOR1~000
...had the same creation date as your current user profile folder. That is the folder that you want to keep...so, navigate to the other admin folder(s) and check their contents. If you find anything in them that does not appear in the ADMINI~1~000, copy those items and paste them into the ADMINI~1~000 folder.

Repeat this process until you know you've copied over all the files to the folder you want to keep, then delete the other folder. Do the same following the same logic for each folder you suspect is a duplicate.

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users