Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Downloads

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny.

Johnny.

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:16 AM

Whenever I try to download an application, zip/rar files, sometimes these downloads turn out to be corrupt. For example, when I download a .rar file, and unzip it with WinRAR it will sometimes show a diagnostic message will appear saying:

[File Directory]: CRC failed in [File Name]. The file is corrupt

It is the same with appllications, but instead a prompt will state for me to find a newer version, or a fresh copy as the application is "corrupt". Music files that aren't in zip/rar folders work fine. I use Mozilla Firefox, and I have also tried the downloads using GetRight, and also with the default windows downloader. My question is simply, why does this happen, and what exactly is a CRC, and is there a way to fix this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:51 AM

Hi johnny.
This is what winrar has to say about it.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

If you consider the size of the file, and the means of transmission, not to mention the possibility that the actual file has been corrupted at the source, it is not surprising that an occasional problem may result. The best way to avoid this is to download the file from the most reliable site possible, and close unneeded applications whilst the download is in progress.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Johnny.

Johnny.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

If you consider the size of the file, and the means of transmission, not to mention the possibility that the actual file has been corrupted at the source, it is not surprising that an occasional problem may result. The best way to avoid this is to download the file from the most reliable site possible, and close unneeded applications whilst the download is in progress.
Regards,
John

Unneeded apllications? Could you give me some examples?

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

Some examples of applications that should be closed if open: any media player, any IM application, additional browser windows---any application (your firewall and AV excepted) that might access the internet during downloading.
I think that the choice of the download site, though, is more important, both from the standpoint of getting an uncorrupted file in the first place, and from server reliability.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Johnny.

Johnny.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

I know this is a bit late...but I've solved the problem....the problem was Norton Anti-Virus....as soon a I removed that and replaced it with Avast!, and ever since none of the downloads have been corrupted. So the problem was Norton Antivirus...removing it definitely made my computer much easier to use....and no corrupt downloadds!

=D

Cheers guys for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users