Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Software Recommendation Needed.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

I am looking for good, free or inexpensive, backup software to allow scheduled backups of data from a laptop to an external hard drive. Again, I need to be able to schedule backups, as well as set up exactly what folders get backed up. And the software must create some sort of place for each backup seperately on the external hard drive, not just overwrite what has already been backed up. Log creation would be a bonus, too.

Please only recommend software if you have first hand knowledge of it. Thanks so much!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:50 AM

MSBACKUP?
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:19 PM

I am looking for good, free or inexpensive, backup software to allow scheduled backups of data from a laptop to an external hard drive. Again, I need to be able to schedule backups, as well as set up exactly what folders get backed up. And the software must create some sort of place for each backup seperately on the external hard drive, not just overwrite what has already been backed up. Log creation would be a bonus, too.

Please only recommend software if you have first hand knowledge of it. Thanks so much!

Hey there,
I only recently wrote a Tut here for Cobian Backup, but stumbled over this one this week:
http://www.backupanswers.com/freewinbackup/highlights/

Regards,

Johannes

Edited by Yourhighness, 29 November 2006 - 12:20 PM.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:00 PM

Oddly enough, thier download link is broken. :thumbsup:

Where is the tut for Cobian Backup? I have downloaded version 7 to test out.

EDIT: Found it! Thanks. LINK

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 29 November 2006 - 01:07 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:54 PM

Hey Albert,

some error on their site. On the main site: http://www.backupanswers.com/freewinbackup/ you can find a working download: http://www.backupanswers.com/downloads/winbackupfreedr.exe

Cheers,

Johannes

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,821 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:22 AM

SyncBack works for me: http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

The paid version allows you to backup "locked" files also.

I've been using it for a couple of years now (at the wife's office) and love it!

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:32 AM

I think that you should try True Image by Acronis. All you need is just schedule a full backup of particular folder to the external drive. And as far as I remember True Image possesses a "log creation" feature. You can download a free version here.

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,565 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:55 AM

Acronis True Image. Very assorted notes based on about 2-3 week experience.
Free 15 trial is worth every minute they give you.
Backup images, directories, individual files, anything you want.
Yes, scheduled backups are there as well.
Yes, you can do an image from Windows, includes all open files except hibernation and page file.
They also have a feature to backup groups of files by application type. I haven't yet found the need to do that.
Logs are there.
Very flexible arrangement - YOU're in control - totally, backup locations, what to backup, what to restore and where.
User friendly beyond anything I've ever seen.
Cheap? NO. $50. Is it worth it to me? You bet. To be able to restore an image in 20 minutes instead of installing Windows and patches from scratch is worth it.
(The speed is roughly 1gig/min. To that 20min I mentioned, do add about 15min revalidation time, that's worth doing as well).
One thing I really like is that you can look at the image file through Acronis TI interface, and that includes .txt files, excel, word. Even though compressed, they're readable (sort of like Winzip).
I've been beating on it for a while now (version 10) back and forth, using the Windows interface as well as the rescue CD bootup through Linux, and it's working. Total, perfect restoration to whatever time point you wish to use.

Edit:
Over at wilders there's an official forum.
I gather from some posts that there are some issues with some computers or drives.
I have a Toshiba laptop and use USB drive for backups. I can boot from CD, and then the image gets read just fine. Some computers aren't so lucky.

Edit2: I just reread your requirements about 'not to overwrite backup'. That's under your control. Under the schedule scenario, you can predict how many backups to keep and where. They will work it FIFO when you run out of space. You can download their user giude and read about it.

Edited by tos226, 04 December 2006 - 12:01 PM.

#9 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:26 AM

Acronis True Image. Very assorted notes based on about 2-3 week experience.
Free 15 trial is worth every minute they give you.
Backup images, directories, individual files, anything you want.
Yes, scheduled backups are there as well.
Yes, you can do an image from Windows, includes all open files except hibernation and page file.
They also have a feature to backup groups of files by application type. I haven't yet found the need to do that.
Logs are there.
Very flexible arrangement - YOU're in control - totally, backup locations, what to backup, what to restore and where.
User friendly beyond anything I've ever seen.
Cheap? NO. $50. Is it worth it to me? You bet. To be able to restore an image in 20 minutes instead of installing Windows and patches from scratch is worth it.
(The speed is roughly 1gig/min. To that 20min I mentioned, do add about 15min revalidation time, that's worth doing as well).
One thing I really like is that you can look at the image file through Acronis TI interface, and that includes .txt files, excel, word. Even though compressed, they're readable (sort of like Winzip).
I've been beating on it for a while now (version 10) back and forth, using the Windows interface as well as the rescue CD bootup through Linux, and it's working. Total, perfect restoration to whatever time point you wish to use.

Edit:
Over at wilders there's an official forum.
I gather from some posts that there are some issues with some computers or drives.
I have a Toshiba laptop and use USB drive for backups. I can boot from CD, and then the image gets read just fine. Some computers aren't so lucky.

Edit2: I just reread your requirements about 'not to overwrite backup'. That's under your control. Under the schedule scenario, you can predict how many backups to keep and where. They will work it FIFO when you run out of space. You can download their user giude and read about it.

You wrote more detailed post about True Image's abilities than me. :flowers:
I love more detailed answers too, so I think that Frankenstein will appreciate it. :thumbsup:

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,821 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:05 PM

I've been using Acronis since version 7.0 and have been doing beta testing with them since version 8.0. It's the only way that I will go for disk imaging.

But I consider it overkill for backup chores. SyncBack or Cobian will do all that you need and they're free.

I'm one of those folks that have a problem system. In my case it's a Toshiba M45 laptop and version 8.0 of the Acronis True Image Enterprise Server. Not a problem tho' - I just created the Acronis Secure Zone and a copy of my image resides right on the hard drive. I'll get around to installing version 10 in the near future and will see if it works then.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users