Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable Cd For Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:37 AM

I don't have any of the original disks from when I bought my computer (IBM ThinkPad). Is it possible to create a bootable CD so that I can boot from the CD in the case of hard-drive failure etc.

I'm going to look into getting a new disk from the manufacturer but I would like to know if I can burn a boot disk for myself in the meantime.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:22 AM

For what purpose would you want a boot cd?

You will not be able to have a fully functional version of Windows from a boot cd. You could, however, have an alternative operating system bootable from a cd that would at least grant you access to your files so you could save your data in the event of a disaster.

Is this what you mean?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• Topic Starter

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:32 AM

I like a boot CD so that if the computer wouldn't boot from the HD, for whatever reason, at least I could boot from a CD and try to fix the problem somehow. I'm not so worried about losing important files as I have them all backed up on an external USB HD.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:47 AM

XP uses a Recovery Console for 'fixing' a broken operating system. Some computers have this already installed and can be accessed while booting the computer. If you don't see this option while booting your particular computer then you will need an XP disk to access the Recovery Console. Here is more info regarding that:

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

Common problems with XP have to do with three critical files: Boot.ini, Ntdetect.com, and Ntldr. These three files should be backed up in the event they become corrupt and need replacing. Getting a copy of these files from a different computer will probably NOT work, as they contain info specific to your computer. Therefore they must be backed up in advace of any problems. Here is an article that explains how to go about backing up these files as well as making a DOS boot disk:

ARTICLE

I hope this info helps get you prepared for a disaster. I like the way you think.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:22 AM

sorry to argue. but these files from ANY computer WILL work. I had problems with my pc a long time ago and my friend sent me these files so I could boot up, nothing on his computer matched mine except it was Windows XP

Edited by DemonSui, 29 November 2006 - 11:22 AM.

Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

but these files from ANY computer WILL work.

Not true. You were lucky. It is possible they will work, but don't count on it. That is why I said it probably won't work. I promise you that the boot.ini file from my computer would not work in yours.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 29 November 2006 - 12:56 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:07 PM

er.. ok, well, I had to modify the boot.INI, but the files themselvs work. lol (sry, a misintereptation. I'm infamous for them)
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• Topic Starter

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:13 AM

Thanks for your help Albert Frankenstein. I read through the articles in your posts. Am I correct in thinking that what they say is that if you copy the following files to a disk then it is a Windows boot disk:

Boot.ini
Ntdetect.com
Ntldr
Bootsect.dos
Ntbootdd.sys

In the article they say use a floppy, but seeing as though my computer doesn't have a floppy drive I assume a CD will work just as well.

Another question. Have you heard anything about the "Ultimate Boot CD"?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:47 AM

Another question. Have you heard anything about the "Ultimate Boot CD"?

I have not used that particular version, but there are many bootable cds available with different operating systems on it. Some are free, some are not. It just depends upon your needs and what you are trying to do.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:04 AM

The ultimate boot CD works on a version of Bart PE. This is basically an environment that will load XP (Cut Down) from a CD. This can then be used o diagnose certain issues. UBCD Ver 4 is very good and I use it all of the time. It is conifgured with freeware apps to allow diagnostics.

You will need a egitimate copy of XP though to build the software as it uses a licence from XP for the CD. Have a read up on it as it is very useful. Also a good Boot CD is Knopix. This is a linux boot CD. It has a few good apps with it too. Bewarned that you will need to have some knowledge of Linux to get this to be useful.
Posted Image

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

The "Ultimate" cd is based on Bart PE which is something that you make but you need a Windows Full Installation CD in order to make it.

Some computers come with software that enables you to make one copy of a bootable installation cd from the software that came installed on your computer. I know that certain models of HP and Compaq computers have this feature but do not know if yours does or not.
You need to research support at IBM to see if that feature is available to you.

The place to obtain a Windows XP Pro installation cd may be your computer manufacturer unless you want to just buy a new retail version cd which you can get either from Microsoft or their dealers. I would suggest pursuing this with IBM.

On new computers some manufacturers now offer to supply these MS Installation cds as a $10 or so option when the computer is new (Dell).

Windows XP Pro has the Recovery Console installed as its default installation and it will probably be installed on your computer.

The following may help:
How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks (free download)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/EN-US/

Recovery Console W XP Exploring Boot Options and Recovery Console
Support WebCast
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324465/en-us

A full "rebuild" command how-to, including the full method and shortcut versions, is now posted, free, at:
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=185301251

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• Topic Starter

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:11 AM

Well...it seems that all these methods recommended by various people require the original XP disk to be able to burn a boot disk. My problem is that I don't have any of the original disks. I'm going to try and get a disk from IBM, but was still hoping to burn my own boot disk for now. I found an ISO Boot Disk Image for DOS 6.22 here but am I right in thinking that this will do me no good because my HD uses the NTFS file system.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:06 AM

When you say "boot disk", exactly what do you mean?

I did supply a link from Microsoft where you can download Windows XP Setup boot disks for free, but I am not sure that is what you mean by "boot disk"

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

What I think you want are either a Manufacturer's Recovery Disk or a Windows Installation Disk, both of which are bootable and both are used to reinstall Windows although in different ways.

The Windows Installation Disk can also be used for doing a repair installation, running the system file checker utility, working with the recovery console, accessing the i386 folder to replace corrupted or missing files and more.

I suggest you look for the following on your computer:

Access Help application - User's Guide information
Note: A User's Guide is not included with newer ThinkPad systems, therefore it is also not available in PDF or hardcopy format.

ThinkPad systems are preloaded with the Access Help application which contains information similar to that which would be included in a User's Guide. The Access Help application is a searchable help database included with your preload that contains:
System locations, views, and connections
How to setup, configure, and customize your system including:
Power management
Networking
Wireless
Display settings
Enabling system protection including:
Virus protection
Recovery techniques
Security software
General maintenance
Upgrade and update information for hardware and software
You can access this application by pressing the appropriate button on the top left of your keyboard.

ThinkVantage
button Blue Access Help
button ThinkPad
button

Downloads
Access Help application

If you no longer have the preloaded software installed on your system you can download and install Access Help.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-57556

Especially look at "Recovery Techniques" and see if they have a recovery system built in or offer you a way to get a bootable disk from them.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• Topic Starter

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for all your help Enthusiast. I had a look at the Microsoft link that you supplied but as far as I could see it was for downloading setup "floppy" disks, whereas my system does not have a floppy drive. I want a bootable CD so that in the case that my system cannot boot from the HD I can boot from a CD and try to fix the problem that way. I will have a look at the Access Help application tonight (I'm currently on my work computer at the office) and let you know how I get on.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

There are bootable cds available as freeware from bootdisk.com

http://bootdisk.com/

Check them out and see if they will work for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users