Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Professional Fails To Boot:

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy TRUELOVE

Jimmy TRUELOVE

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:29 AM

Hi, so after having received such fantastic help regarding the removal of a virus, I thought I might try and get some assistance with this problem.

I was simply unrarring a .rar file, when the blue screen of death came up. Naturally I restarted however, upon restarting... windows loaded fine, up until the Windows Professional Splash screen with the blue bar scrolling at the bottom.

So everythings fine? No.

It simply stayed on that splash screen, and did nothing. (Not a crash however as the blue bar was still moving)

I turned the computer off, turned it back on, was confronted with several options safe mode / last settings that worked etc.

Have tried all of them with the following results:

1) Normal boot - as described above ^^

2) Last settings that worked - as described above.

3) Safemode - A list of .sys files fill my screen as if it's loading but it just stops at

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0) partition (1)\WINDOWS\System32\giveio.sys

"Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.SYS" - (Have tried pressing ESC. Same result)

Any help or advice would be very very much appreciated. If it's of any consequence I will of course be making a donation.

Thanks again

Jimmy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jimmy TRUELOVE

Jimmy TRUELOVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:34 AM

Oh some basic specs if it helps:

2 Hard drives (128 gigs each) - Sata or something ? rAID? not sure what it's called.
AMD XP3200+ 2.2ghz
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Mb
512 Ram

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:45 AM

Sounds like a corrupt driver - most likely either sptd.sys (with giveio.sys running in second place)

sptd.sys seems to be a part of Daemon Tools - so I'd uninstall that (and maybe install the latest version if you must have it). I've seen a lot of problems recently that involved this.

giveio.sys appears to allow low-level access to hardware devices. The most reasonable recommendation I've found is to "...remove this driver (from the Non-Plug-and-Play Devices branch of Device Manager--don't just delete the file). You may experience problems with programs that require it - this will be the clue to remove/update those programs.

BTW - this is not a "cure", rather it's an attempt to fix this problem based on some of the information that you gave. It doesn't directly address the BSOD issue that you posted about.

To do that, please include the detailed information from the crash screen. If you can't reproduce it, try checking your Event Viewer for more info. Here's a HowTo on it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

The only problem with that advice is he no longer can boot up. So he doesn't have access to any of the windows GUI.

Jimmy do you know how to use the recovery console. You may be able to disable that corrupt service and get the system to boot up.

Failing that you may have to perform a repair install of Xp.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#5 Jimmy TRUELOVE

Jimmy TRUELOVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

Hi, thanks for your response, please don't give up on me!

I am unable to access windows unfortunately and am therefore unable to follow the steps laid out.

I also have no idea how to run recovery console, after a google it seems I require a windows XP cd anyway, of which I am unaware of the location.

System repair?

Any ideas anyone?

Perhaps I need to take it and get it professionally done. Really odd that Daemon Tools should do this? I mean I have recently installed it but not THAT recently maybe a week or so. And the previous version of DT that I had on this system never gave me problems.

Ah well, thanks very much for your help.. if anyone can offer any advice please do !

Regards

Jimbo

#6 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:44 PM

If you don't have a legal copy of windows or you lost your legal disk then you'll HAVE to take it in a shop. You need that disk to do anything to fix this. To do a repair reinstall requires said disk.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:38 AM

Do you have a Windows Installation disk?

If you do, the information at the following link may help:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

If not, try to boot to safe mode with command prompt.

To boot to safe mode menu start tapping F8 as soon as you power on the computer and before the Windows splash screen comes on.

Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users