Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss Of Memory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ed fred

ed fred

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:38 AM

i have a computer with 1 gig of memory.i had a 128 mb integrated video card when i went to the system prop.page it told me that i had 896 mb of memory. then i bought a 256 mb graphics card fron ati and my computer still says taht i only have 896 mb or ram even though my integrated chip is disabled....??????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:05 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, ed fred.
You should be able to go into the BIOS and reduce your on board video memory to a lower setting. Perhaps as low as 32Mbs. I have not seen a motherboard that would allow you to set the on board video to 0, as of yet.
Hope this helps.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ed fred

ed fred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

not sure how to get into the bios.i heard something about high density memory when my mother board is not designed for it???

#4 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

not sure how to get into the bios.

Typically you just need to reboot, wait for the beep, and start tapping the F8 key to get into BIOS.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:09 PM

silmaril8n is close. F8 will get you into Safe Mode. Usually F2 will get you into the BIOS. Simple mistake. :thumbsup:
If you could list your component we could tell you if your memory is compatible with High Density memory. What brand and model computer do you have?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

Each manufacturer decides what key to use to access the BIOS. The easisest way to do this is to watch the screen when it boots. Usually in the lower right or left corner will be a mention of how to access the BIOS (or setup).

If that's not possible (my new MSI motherboard is this way by default), reading the manual may help. Otherwise, search for your model at the manufacturer's website using "Bios" in the search terms.

Or, you can post your make and model here and we'll see if we can find it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users