Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pentium 3 Some Advice Please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MsMarlena

MsMarlena

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:33 AM

Computer specs:

Pentium III - 350mhz
400 + ram
Windows 2000 Professional

has 2 hard drives in it
1 - 8 gig
1 - 40 gig

I need to upgrade the hard drive because....

1) it will be acting as a server
2) I need to store information that is impairative to my work
(right now i Have 30 gig's in use and only 1/4 of my data for work is on it, therefore i need to know what is the biggest hard drive i can put into this machine and have it recognize it, without upgrading processor.)

Muchly appreciated,

Marlena

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:56 PM

Will this computer be used other than being accessed by others as a server? How much drive space do you need? 160Gb, 200Gb, 250Gb,...? Are you up for different options other than using that computer?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:20 PM

acklan said,

Are you up for different options other than using that computer?

MsMarlena, acklan asked the perfect question above. I'd suggest you go with another option besides your option no#1. Now option no#2 may very well do the job for you. But as far as making a server and (or) networking it, I wouldn't use that one, not unless you're just experimenting. Again, your option no#2 would work for what you have right now.

You seem to have more than enough room to store your data on what you have, but I personally, highly recommend you upgrading to a newer system to do your no#1 option. At least you'll have room to work with. Right now, you'll have problems sooner than you'd expect with what you have.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

Well that was sorta what I meant. If you are going to use that computer as a make shift file server and still work on it, then I would keep the computer but do some minor upgrades. Like max out the amount of RAM it has on board.
What I would suggest if you were only going to use it as a file server would be purchase a stand alone NAS (Network Attached Storage). This works similar to a USB external hard drive but attaches to an ethernet port on your LAN (router, USB, switch). They run about the same price. As a matter of fact some NAS have both USB (for use as a local HD) and ethernet (For use as a NAS).
If you like to tinker and play with your LAN you will find the old computer fun. If you are all about would and really just want a plug it in and go solution then the NAS is you best option.

Range from $50 without a drive to $1000 with a drive and options.
NAS examples
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 MsMarlena

MsMarlena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:15 PM

okay ty both for your posts.

I found out that i can add 160 gigs to this machine to make it have enough space for all of my works components.

Unfortunately in my work, yes i ned to have space. It's not for work documents or speadsheets, I back up my discs for work on this system so i always ahve a copy. they are zipped BIN files.. huge huge huge... SO for now i think adding the 160 GIGS for 120.00 is what i will do...

thanks again to those who took the time to help out another....

Marlena

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:29 PM

I wanted to ad this about the hd. I just got a 320gb hd for like 108 bucks or so. If you are in america try looking on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com for one. They may? also ship to other countries. If not check out ebay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users