Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Detect Wirless Network

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hamesfive

hamesfive

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:29 AM

I have a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHZ 54 Mbps Model WRT54G router, that is set for both B and G.
I recently purchased a 11b wlan pci adapter. I am unable to detect my wireless network using this
adapter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am running Windows XP professional, if
that make any difference.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narcoreality

narcoreality

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:24 AM

There should be a configuration utlity that is with your wireless PCI adapter. You can also use the Windows wireless configuration utility as well.

Here is a link for some info on the Windows XP Wireless Configuration:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windows...maticwifixp.htm

2 Questions:

1. What is the make of the Wireless NIC?
2. How far away from the router are you?

#3 hamesfive

hamesfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:11 AM

Thanks for the reply, to answer your questions

1) Chiefmax MW302P 802.11b Wireless PCI Card OEM
2) About 2 feet

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:01 AM

Ip you run CMD from the run command in start menu. Then type ipconfig /all
What is the IP address that is coming up for the wireless NIC.
Posted Image

#5 hamesfive

hamesfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:24 PM

The wireless network connection shows Media Disconnected

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:44 AM

It will show disconnected state until it has confirmed a connection. This could be a IP config issue. Do as stated above and see what it says in IPconfig. This will show if it is on the same network as the Wireless Router. I would say not.

If it is not attaching to the network then check that the Wireless Gateway is set for DHCP or set the Wireless adaptor IP address to one that is on the same network as the wireless Gateway.

If in doubt look at the manual for the router and see what the standard setup IP address is. This is most likely to be 192.168.1.1. If this is the case then set the IP address of the Wireless adaptor on the Laptop/PC to 192.168.1.4
This should enable you to talk to the Gateway if no security is in place.

If this is not connecting still this will be due to Security on the gateway. The way round that would be to connect through the LAN connection. Set the IP address of the ethernet to 192.168.1.3
This will allow you to connect to the router and setup the wireless security settings. This can then be entered into the wireless setup on the Laptop/PC and you should have a connection.
Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:00 PM

Have you set all the necessary settings to enable wireless services on your PC? I believe that the software that came with the card would do it for you automatically.

Can other wireless cards "see" the network?

Have you run the "View Wireless Connections" thingy? (excuse the technical terminology :thumbsup: - what does it show?

Edited by usasma, 04 December 2006 - 12:00 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 hamesfive

hamesfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have used the software that came with the card to configure it, and other software as well. I have another computer in the house that is wireless and it doesn't have any trouble at all detecting the network. I am begining to think now that the card is just bad. I was told that the wireless b card would not work with my wireless g router, but I don't understand why it would not.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:32 PM

Generally wireless routers are backwards compatible - you'd have to check the specs of yours to be sure (This page says that it is: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper )

Since the other PC works with the router - then it's either the card or the PC. Can you hook the PC to the router with a network cable - and does it work then?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 hamesfive

hamesfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:22 PM

It looks like it should work with the Wireless B card.
Wireless-G is the upcoming 54Mbps wireless networking standard that's almost five times as fast as the widely deployed Wireless-B (802.11b) products found in homes, businesses, and public wireless hotspots around the country but since they share the same 2.4GHz radio band, Wireless-G devices can also interoperate with existing 11Mbps Wireless-B equipment.

Yes, I can hoop the PC up to the router with a network cable and it works fine.

#11 tapuahk2

tapuahk2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:14 PM

It looks like it should work with the Wireless B card.
Wireless-G is the upcoming 54Mbps wireless networking standard that's almost five times as fast as the widely deployed Wireless-B (802.11b) products found in homes, businesses, and public wireless hotspots around the country but since they share the same 2.4GHz radio band, Wireless-G devices can also interoperate with existing 11Mbps Wireless-B equipment.

Yes, I can hoop the PC up to the router with a network cable and it works fine.

Okay, I'm very familiar with your Router, make sure the wireless is set to mixed.

And that SSID broadcast is On, you can turn it off after setup of your new card.

Do you have wireless MAC filtering enabled if so add the new MAC address.

On the new wireless card setup try defining a fixed IP and set the gateway to the router ip by default it is 192.168.1.1 so set your wireless card static to 192.168.1.106 with a 255.255.255.0 mask.

If this works your new card was not accepting DHCP from router and should be returned to store.

Tapuahk

"means apple"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users