Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware/device/system Driver Updates

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:51 AM

Hi. Is there an easy way to tell if your drivers be it system, hardware or devices, are up to date?
I found a site, "DriverAgent.com" that scans your system and tells you what drivers you need. But it costs money to download the drivers from their links. So I tried updating the drivers through the "Device Manager" and had it search the net for the drivers. It found no better drivers for any of the stuff that the "DriverAgent" scan said I needed. Is there a free utility out there that scans and finds then downloads the drivers that you need? Or is the scan from DriverAgent unreliable? Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:46 AM

There use to be a couple of programs out there years ago, like Oil Can, and a couple of others, but they cost money on a anuall basis. I don't know if they still exist. I find the most reliable way is to go to the manufacturer's site and download from there. That way you know it's the latest. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:01 AM

There use to be a couple of programs out there years ago, like Oil Can, and a couple of others, but they cost money on a anuall basis. I don't know if they still exist. I find the most reliable way is to go to the manufacturer's site and download from there. That way you know it's the latest. :thumbsup:

That's why I asked if there is an EASY way. Or if there is a utility that makes it simpler. Finding the "Manufacturer" site may be easy if you need a couple of drivers. But according to the "Driver Agent" scan, I need 12 drivers!!! Such as, IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, Multi Media Audio controller, Via SATA Raid Controller etc. And just how do you find the manufacturer of the afore mentioned?
Thanks for the input. Any other ideas? Thanks for any additional help!

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:42 AM

TBH, I wouldn't put much faith in the system that you scanned your comptuer with. While the drivers may be out of date, the updated drivers may have been updated to include things that don't deal with your system (like it could be ugraded to deal with new intel core 2 duo processors, but you run an AMD 64 so the update wouldn't affect you). See what I mean? I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it". You can update what ever drivers you want, but some manufacturers will say just use what came with the hardware or not to update it because it's plug and play. I ordered a DVD/CD burner and it came without an installation CD (no drivers!). I called up LG (manufacterer) and asked why it didn't come with any drivers, and where could I get the latest drivers to download and install...they told me not to unless I had problems with it, that the drive was "plug and play" and that windows will automatically install it and it'll work fine.

If something's not working right, or it would work better if you updated the driver, then download them manually so that you know it's done right with the correct drivers. I wouldn't trust a program to update my video drivers in fear that something would go wrong upon installation that would cost me money to fix!

Just my humble opinion! Hope it helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

TBH, I wouldn't put much faith in the system that you scanned your comptuer with. While the drivers may be out of date, the updated drivers may have been updated to include things that don't deal with your system (like it could be ugraded to deal with new intel core 2 duo processors, but you run an AMD 64 so the update wouldn't affect you). See what I mean? I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it". You can update what ever drivers you want, but some manufacturers will say just use what came with the hardware or not to update it because it's plug and play. I ordered a DVD/CD burner and it came without an installation CD (no drivers!). I called up LG (manufacterer) and asked why it didn't come with any drivers, and where could I get the latest drivers to download and install...they told me not to unless I had problems with it, that the drive was "plug and play" and that windows will automatically install it and it'll work fine.

If something's not working right, or it would work better if you updated the driver, then download them manually so that you know it's done right with the correct drivers. I wouldn't trust a program to update my video drivers in fear that something would go wrong upon installation that would cost me money to fix!

Just my humble opinion! Hope it helps! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the info. You make a good point. I too do not like to fix something that isn't broke.
But I think something may be broke. A day ago I got a message after reboot. It said "System has recovered from a critical error". An error report was created and waitng for me to connect to the internet and send, which I did. After the report completed, a page opened with an explanation of what caused the error and suggested fixes. The explanation said it was a "Stop" error relating to a "Driver", but could not state specifically what caused it to happen. Or give a suggestion on how to fix it. I hope that makes sense to you. I think it did say to make sure all of my drivers are up to date. That's what started all of this. Thanks again. Any ideas?

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:31 AM

Well, errors are caused for a billion reasons, so it's hard to pinpoint just what exactly caused your stop error! LOL! It may have been something simple, like a program shut down improperly, or windows shut down incorrectly. If it hasn't happened again, or it doesn't happen all the time, I wouldn't worry about it. If it comes up again with a stop error, write down the error and post about it and perhaps someone can help you out (I'm no pro with windows!). Be sure to post about the error that you get in the correct area, most likely the area that pertains to your operating system (Windows XP, Windows ME etc.), this way, you'll get a faster response by someone who knows about the operating system.

In the meanwhile, I'd run a system defrag just to be safe. I know that when your hard drive gets to fragmented, it can really mess things up, and cause errors. Also, I'd let windows check it for errors. To do this, open up windows explorer, right click on your hard drive (probably C:) then click on "Properties" and another window will pop up. In this new window, click on the "TOOLS" tab, then click on "Check Now", and another window will open. Put a check in both boxes (next to "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"). Now click Start. This may take a while, it's ok. Only do one at a time, don't start a defrag, then start a check disk (it'll take 5 times as long to do both unless you have a dual core processor).

Hope this all helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:34 AM

Dito on Stevealmighty's point. You really only ever need to update drivers if something isn't working....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#8 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:51 AM

Dito on Stevealmighty's point. You really only ever need to update drivers if something isn't working....

Uh, yeah....like I said in my last post... "But I think something may be broke. A day ago I got a message after reboot. It said "System has recovered from a critical error". An error report was created and waitng for me to connect to the internet and send, which I did. After the report completed, a page opened with an explanation of what caused the error and suggested fixes. The explanation said it was a "Stop" error relating to a "Driver", but could not state specifically what caused it to happen. Or give a suggestion on how to fix it. I hope that makes sense to you. I think it did say to make sure all of my drivers are up to date. That's what started all of this."
Doesn't a "Critical Stop Error" suggest that something is NOT working?

Steve, I did as you suggested. I Defragmented even though it said "The Volume Does Not need to be defragmented". And I ran Chckdisk, but it had to schedule it for the next reboot, so I rebooted and it ran. From what I could see it found no errors. Something I read here at BC said that updating drivers is very important to keeping your machine in good health. But from what I'm reading here on this topic I get the impression that it is not so important. Confusing. Are drivers important or not? And should I not be investigating the Critical Stop error that is somehow related to "Drivers"?? I don't know how to explain it any better. Sorry, and if I knew what the problem was I would not be bothering anyone here at BC. Anyway, I'm still at a loss as to what to do next. Maybe I'll get the Critical Error again and this time it will fry my machine and then I won't have to worry about it anymore.....or maybe it will fix itself.
Thanks for the help, I know you are trying and I know how hard it must be to fix something that is not in your presence. But I do appreciate your effort and time! Thank you!

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

I'd say updating drivers is somewhat important.

Yes, updating drivers can solve Critical Stop Errors.
No, there isn't really any good automated way of doing it. You'll have to do it by hand.

If you give us the hardware details of your computer we can help you by pointing in the right direction.

Giving us the details of the Error message will also help. You can find them in under system in the event viewer (Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer Management)
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

I'd say updating drivers is somewhat important.

Yes, updating drivers can solve Critical Stop Errors.
No, there isn't really any good automated way of doing it. You'll have to do it by hand.

If you give us the hardware details of your computer we can help you by pointing in the right direction.

Giving us the details of the Error message will also help. You can find them in under system in the event viewer (Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer Management)

Thank you! Your yes and no answers are very helpful. :thumbsup:
I did as you suggested. I looked at the Event Veiwer and found that On the day the I got the Critical Stop error (11-27) I had countless Errors from the "Service Control Manager" all of the Event ID's were 7023, 7035 and 7036. Says "None" under Category and "N/A" under User. I have no Idea what it all means. I did not see anything under any date that said Stop error or Critical error. Then two days later (11-29) I see the same thing but I also see two Errors from DCOM, Event ID 10005, User (myname) and System.
Intel Celeron D, 2.93GHZ, VIA P4M800 chipset,512 memory, Radeon 9200 128mb graphics, SoundBlaster Live audio, U.S.Robotics 56k V92 modem.

I hope that makes sense. Definitely not in my area of expertise. Thanks again!

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:54 AM

I use Version Tracker to inform me of updates. But as others have said, I belong to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school.

First tho', we'll need more information about the errors to start and figure out what's causing this. Right click on the errors and select Properties - then look for the text that describes the error -that's what we'll need.

Also, if these are STOP or BSOD errors, search your hard drive for files that end in .dmp or .mdmp. If you find them, follow the instructions at this link ( http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 ) and copy/paste the results here for us to have a look at.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:08 AM

I use Version Tracker to inform me of updates. But as others have said, I belong to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school.

First tho', we'll need more information about the errors to start and figure out what's causing this. Right click on the errors and select Properties - then look for the text that describes the error -that's what we'll need.

Also, if these are STOP or BSOD errors, search your hard drive for files that end in .dmp or .mdmp. If you find them, follow the instructions at this link ( http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 ) and copy/paste the results here for us to have a look at.

I should make sure that I'm following your instructions correctly on this. Looking in the "Event Viewer" there is a list, Application, Security, System, and Internet Explorer.
Am I to look at the evnts in "System"? I assume so and did so. Then opened the properties of one of the DCOM errors and in the text box I saw this:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 11/29/2006
Time: 9:43:45 AM
User: NONE-JMKHVTA5XD\Administrator
Computer: NONE-JMKHVTA5XD
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

One of the Service Control Manager errors read like this:
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7001
Date: 11/29/2006
Time: 9:44:43 AM
User: N/A
Description:
The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'm not technical at all and the links from Help and Support just confused me even more. Sorry about my technical ignorance. I'm not even sure which errors to look at because on some of the dates listed there are alot of errors and are mostly from the "Service control Manager". Am I giving you the right info? Thanks again!

Edited by flyingbowtie, 04 December 2006 - 11:14 AM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:00 PM

The first error isn't normally a problem - but the second one is.

Next, some of the drivers that DriverAgent told you that you need are bundled in your chipset drivers (with the VIA I believe it's 4 or 5 in 1).

Next, in order to avoid installing all of your drivers, we'll need the information on the Blue Screen of Death that you experienced. There are 3 ways to get this information:
1) By copying it from the BSOD (more info in the link in the next item)
2) By viewing your Event Viewer and looking for the errors that occurred when the BSOD did. Here's a link to a mini-guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
3) Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp or .mdmp. These are memory dumps generated when the BSOD occurred. Analysis of them can help to find the particular driver that's at fault. I don't have the link to the analysis right now, but will try and post it later.

Driver updates are simple, but tedious. Also, there's no need to update them unless you're having "issues". Here's the routine:
1) Visit Windows Update and get all the updates
2) Scan your system for malware. Here's a nice, free online scan: http://safety.live.com Choose the Full Service Scan
3) Update your motherboard/chipset drivers (you'll find these at the motherboard manufacturer's site). This is the most important set of drivers for your system.
4) Update your SATA drivers if they're not a part of the chipset.
4) Update your video drivers
5) Update your network card drivers (to include modem, NIC, wireless if applicable)
6) Update your sound drivers
7) Update the drivers for any other hardware device plugged into your system - either inside the case or in the ports on the outside of the case. You'll do a visual inspection for these and make a list.
'
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 flyingbowtie

flyingbowtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

Okay, that second one is there alot so it must be a problem. But I think I also found the alert log from the BSOD. It reads like this:
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 11/26/2006
Time: 12:09:22 PM
User: N/A
Description:
Error code 100000c5, parameter1 00000006, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 8054ae34.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 63 100000c
0020: 35 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 5 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 30 30 eters 00
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 36 2c 20 000006,
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 32 00000002
0040: 2c 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 , 000000
0048: 30 31 2c 20 38 30 35 34 01, 8054
0050: 61 65 33 34 ae34

Also, do I need the "bundled drivers" that are in the via chipset?
I ran the online scan that you provided the link for and it found 5 registry errors, and 5.6mb of temp files. Found no defragmentation and no open ports. Any advice?
Thanks for your help John!

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:39 PM

OK, we've got the error code, which will help narrow things down a bit. Any luck with searching for a .dmp or .mdmp file on your system?

Here's some links to the error message:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0xc5
http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_7cfb.htm

It says, basically, that a driver misbehaved - but only a little bit. Lotta help, huh?

The easiest solution is to find the .dmp or .mdmp files - I know a bit about analyzing them. Another possibility is to use the Driver Verifier built into XP (my copy of XPPro has it, I dunno about other versions). Just type "verifier" (without the quotes) at the Run dialog.

I'm not real good with this tool, but it does have possibilities. Here's a link on how to use it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617 In particular, look for unsigned drivers. I have not had the opportunity to run this on a system with a driver problem so your situation may produce different results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users