Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Upgrade Opinions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

I usually trade off on a new laptop every year or at the most 2 years so I can keep the value up on it.

Should I worry about this or are they going down in value so fast that soon I wont even have a year before it looses money?

I usually loose about 100-150 a year on the laptop which I see as not to bad since I am always UP TO DATE with the newest laptops with the newest features.

I have a hp zv6000 right now. I would like to sell it and upgrade to a dual core dv6000 with a AMD turion in it.
Is the turion going to be upgraded or increased in speed in the next few months? Or are they going to cut that out to with something new?

See my laptop now has a standard socket 939 desktop cpu in it. I can upgrade clear up to the fx-57 or whatever is the biggest single cpu AMD makes.

I cant put a dual core in this one even though it has the right socket because the BIOS wont reconize it. I wish it would and I would put a dual core in it.

I see there are athlon dual cores out there that are way faster than the turion so I wonder if the turion is going to go down the drain and if I should invest or not. I would like to in the future keep a laptop and just upgrade the cpu to keep up the value.

Should I sell mine and get a new one or keep it? It works fine for me really. The amd 3200 is fast for a laptop. Most laptops in wallmart for 800-900 bucks has a slow sempron.

Its mainly the cpu thats not up to date. The laptop has a 100gb hd and a 15.4 brightview widescreen. Plus the dvdrw drive is nice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:14 PM

One of my co-workers has a new lap top with an dual core amd turion (sp?) in it, onboard graphics (Nvidia I believe, up to 256 mb shared), 1 gb ram....and he plays the latest doom game (doom III?), F.E.A.R. and Oblivion with no lag. He said that he's extremely impressed with how that processor and onboard graphics works! He's also a super computer geek, and knows more about computer related things than I would (took an online test about a year ago, I got 39 questions out of 100....he got 99/100!!!!!!).

I'd have to consider if upgrading an entire computer just for the processor would be worth whatever your loss is going to be (difference in what you sell your current lap top and what you buy the new one for). Maybe $100-$150, I'd upgrade, but anything over $200, I'd hold out a bit in hopes that the prices would drop somewhat!

Not a lot of info, but hope it helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:51 PM

It would be like 150 at the most maybe....

Yes but when one drops so does the other....

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:35 PM

It would be like 150 at the most maybe....

Yes but when one drops so does the other....

So, bang for the buck, would it be worth it to you to upgrade to a new, faster lappy? Or would you rather keep the $150 and stick with your old faithful one that you already have? If it were me, I'd base my decision on whether or not my current laptop was fast enough to do what I wanted it to do, and if it was, then why replace it right now? If it wasn't fast enough, and was lagging when I wanted it to do things, then I'd replace it. If I thought it was going to not preform up to my expectations, then I'd replace it now.

If you don't replace it now, you can start saving your pennies to help absorb the price difference in what you'll lose from not selling your laptop now.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:10 PM

Well I may try and sell mine to get at least 800 bucks. You see this is what I call peak season. They may not go as high later as they do now because of gifts and all.

It works for me. But it can get slow sometimes as I do multitask a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users