Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Ie7 Desktop Icon

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:46 PM

OK, I'm pulling my hair out on this one.

Desktop Cleanup Wizard launched and asked me if I wanted to cleanup any unused icons on my desktop. Since I have a lot I don't use I said yes.

However, it also removed the IE7 icon.

I've taken the typical steps to display the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop (desktop properties>desktop>customize desktop>check Internet Explorer checkbox) but it didn't work. I've also opened the desktop cleanup wizard, looked in the Unused Icons folder, and it's not there.

I'm NOT looking for a shortcut icon, but the icon where right-clicking the icon and selecting properties is the same as clicking on the Tools menu and selecting "Internet Options".

In older version of IE, there was an option in the Advanced tab to "show internet explorer on the desktop" but I don't see it anymore.

I'm at a loss. Assistance anyone?? :thumbsup:

Thanks. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:44 PM

The only thing I can think of is to use system restore picking a time just before you used the icon clean-up.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:25 AM

Hi I_am_CanadianEh?

Being a naturally inquisitive and empathic soul your problem touched my heart enough to cause me to restore my IE and one other shortcut to the desktop and run the desktop cleanup wizard. Because I keep no shortcuts on my desktop it was easy to see what happened. The IE shortcut not only left the desktop but like you I was also not able to bring it back by using either the Customize Desktop settings or by using Tweak UI so using the cleanup wizard really does get rid of that shortcut.

What I did find by looking in the Unused Desktop Shortcuts folder was another folder that was called "Internet Explorer.{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}." Attempting to enter this folder to see if the shortcut was inside caused IE to open instead so this folder is your IE shortcut.

To restore it just look through your unused shortcuts folder for a folder named Internet Explorer and simply drag it to your desktop and release it and everything should be back the way it was.

If this folder is not inside your unused shortcuts folder we will look for other ways to restore your shortcut later.

Good luck
There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:56 AM

Hey Ronbo :inlove: ,

Yeah, I saw that funny folder name and when I double clicked on it, I had THREE, yes 3 IE windows open up to my home page....huh?? :thumbsup:

But, I'll try your suggestion which sounds nuts, but Microsoft does do some very strange things. I wonder what Bill Gates is smoking... :flowers:

I'm at work now, I'll do this as soon as I get home.

Thanks again. :trumpet:

#5 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:30 AM

One thing you can try is to go to Start/Set Program Access and Defaults.

Change your default browser to something OTHER then IE. Set it to AOL or Netscape or Firefox.

Then do the steps again and make IE your default.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:47 AM

I wonder what Bill Gates is smoking

With his $$$, only the finest! :thumbsup:

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

Ronbo, your suggestion worked! :thumbsup:
Thank you very much. :flowers:

...and BTW, I don't use IE all that much, only for updates and online scans. Firefox....I'm feelin' it. :trumpet:

#8 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

Glad to help I_am_CanadianEh? :thumbsup:
There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users