Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats "enough" ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

OKay, im very self conscious about my computer, and what is enought protection for me to stop worrying.

Right now, i have mcafee virusscan;personal firewall plus; and spamblocker all enabled
spywareblaster enabled
windows defender
and i run CCleaner once a night

am i vunerable anywhere, and is this enough to be protected, or am i lacking somewhere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,102 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

A browser other than IE such as Firefox with NoScript and McAfee Site Advisor extensions. Other than that looks good. Remember, all the security programs in the world want keep you from clicking on bad links in email, IM's or bad sites, or downloading dangerous free programs such as screen savers, etc.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 zeppelined

zeppelined

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:17 AM

There's one vital thing, which you might be doing but didn't mention: back-up. Your squeaky clean computer will be a box of parts when your hard drive fails. Notice I said when. They all fail eventually. Luckily, backing up today is cheaper and easier than ever. Get an external USB hard drive the same size as your internal. They go for well under $1 per gig right now. Then get Norton Ghost.

Trust me on this. I have had several fail and lost lots of irreplacible data. You might be thinking, "Well, I really shouldn't spend the money, it's a pain to set up and do the backups." Then one morning you wake up and everything on your computer is gone, and you'll plead with God himself to let you go back in time and back up your files. :-)

#4 toshibauser

toshibauser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:57 PM

thank you for the back up tip, sry for the late reply

wow, EVERY hard drive fails sooner of later, i never would of guessed that
so when this harddrive fails can it be replaced or do i need a new laptop?

and how long does a Hard Drive last?

Edited by toshibauser, 09 December 2006 - 04:58 PM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

Hard drives easily last five years or more, and you can replace them fairly inexpensively, although in five years you will probably want to get a new computer. It is always wise to back up important files and documents; burning these to CDs, and keeping them apart from your computer area is probably the most direct disaster recovery plan.

I would certainly suggest adding at least Ad-AwareSE and AVG Anti-spyware to your arsenal of protection. Because each company currently defines spyware using different criteria, having several different applications will detect a larger number of malware infestations.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:31 AM

The amount of security is only limited by the amount of resourcws on your computer.
I personally run the following on a P-III 500Mhz w\ 768Mb of RAM..
AVG 7.5 (Free)
AVG antispyware
Spybot
Adaware
SpywareBlaster
SPywareGuard
MS Defender
cCleaner
SyGate 5.6 PFW
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users