Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Onecare Scanning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

Like a lot of people these days, I was under the impression that the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner - being by MS for MS - would be a safe means of cleaning my system and registry.

USASMA has pointed out that overcleaning the registry by any means can lead to the irretrievable breakdown of the OS so I thought a word of warning may be appropriate here.

I would recommend therefore that users run just the one full scan to see that their system and registry is up to scratch and then stick to the Quick Scan for regular maintenance. I intend to run the Quick Scan about once a week from now on. As the full scan takes hours while the quick scan takes only a few minutes, seems like a win/win situation all round.

Just my two cents. Cheers :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:29 AM

This might explain what happened to my PC last night. I have been giving my PC the full scan once a week since I got the link approx 4wks ago.

I set it away when I went to bed last night. On checking it this morning other than a few temporary files there was nothing to report.

When I opened IE I got a popup box through Spybot stating that a registry item was missing and had been replaced from a back up file. I wasn't sure what it meant at the time but your post could possibly be the answer.

I will also use the Quick Scan from now on.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users