Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NicoleandCraig

NicoleandCraig

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

Since I have had my computer it has always starting beeping after playing pinball for awhile. I could shut it down and it would be fine when restarted. (Just don't play pinball) Then it would beep after a short while, playing like 5 minutes,and it would vary, beep from playing for 5 minutes to sometimes not beeping until after an hour. I couldn't fiqure it out and didn't mind not playing pinball. Now living since with boyfriend, who wants to play games, it beeps whenever. :thumbsup: Completely spuratic; surfing the net, playing games on candystand.com, does not matter how long the computer is on for either. When I came home today I started the computer, (it was off all day), was on the net on google and it started beeping after 10 minutes. I shut it down for 30 minutes, restarted and have been on the computer since and it is fine. (90minutes) But who knows when it will start beeping again! We have only had the internet for a month, yes we have dowloaded music, but deleted it, and yes Craig has has downloaded a game. Someone once told me that my processor may be getting too hot and it is a warning (the beeping) There is a fan there, so do I need a new one? What else might it be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

Look in your computer manual to find what the specific beep means. If you don't have the manual on your comp look online to find it. Your friend could be right about the cause, but check what the beep code says and post back if you need help fixing the problem.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 NicoleandCraig

NicoleandCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:38 PM

Thank you for your reply. No I do not have the manual. i bought my comuter in pieces from Newegg.com in 2002. A friend who knowcomputers had put it all together and since, i purchased a new videocard and thats it. I went online, I cannot find the manual or a description that makes any sense to me. My processor is a AMD athlon XP. Their forum won't let me post. Reading other postings though, people talk about the CPU? As it most obvious other than computer programs I know nothing. Is there something I can do in the BIOS?
Thanks

#4 NicoleandCraig

NicoleandCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:41 PM

Oh yeah, and it was that friend who has no idea he has looked a the computer with no manual, awhile back and has suggested to get a new processor as a processs if elimination, I will do that but I would like to make sure that is necessary first, if possible.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

If you need a program to check temperatures, the one in the link below should work for you.
http://www.gtopala.com/

Have you checked the event logs? Good place to start. Since it is so sporadic, could just be a loose connection or you may need to reseat the heat sink.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:45 AM

Nicoleandcraig here is and online reference for beep codes. It is general and covers several makes of BIOS. BIOS beep & POST codes
Buddy215 you should recommend that utility to our "freeware forum" in "All other applications" since you have used it. Sounds like a great tool.
If you need more freeware that has been test driven by our members check... Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
Two things come to mind. One, when was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Heat is a big killer of electrical components. Be sure and check the heatsink on both your processor, video card, and memory (if there is one) for dirt blocking the fins. Make sure your fans are all working. You can do this with a program if the BIOS supports it, or a visiual look when you have the case opened. Two, you may have a bad memory module. You will get a clue to this when you review the Beep Codes in the above link.

Edited by acklan, 30 November 2006 - 08:53 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users