Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows Firewall Good Enough?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 westsideg

westsideg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

Something ive been wondering...is it enough ? Or would i be better off disabling it and downloading something like zone alarm free ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:31 PM

It's a poor excuse for a firewall.
Windows firewall only monitors traffic coming in.
You need one that will monitor traffic both ways, in and out.
You can find several good free firewalls to choose from, here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:35 PM

Cheers dude :thumbsup:

#4 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:22 AM

Just my 2 pence here (im English),

Ive been using Sygate for some time now, and IMHO it remains an absolute top free firewall, and runs smoothly in the background, hasnt let anything in or out yet without me knowing about it first, so that would be my recommendation. But you can try a couple out just to see what you preferre, just remember to uninstall or turn the others off first. You should only ever have one Firewall running at a time.

Kind regards,
Graveangel
:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#5 westsideg

westsideg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:30 PM

nice 1 homie, i tried out zone alarm last night, im impressed so far, ill have a look at Sygate too tho :thumbsup:

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:25 PM

I've recently switched from ZoneAlarm to Sygate.
As a Firefox user,so far Sygate has been hassle free,and user friendly.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

The only problem with 3rd party firewalls is that many users don't understand the pop up dialogs and tend to block programs that they need to have access the internet.

If you set up one for someone else make darn sure that you run EVERY PROGRAM on the computer that might need internet access and get it configured before you hand it off to grandma.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#8 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

The only problem with 3rd party firewalls is that many users don't understand the pop up dialogs and tend to block programs that they need to have access the internet.

If you set up one for someone else make darn sure that you run EVERY PROGRAM on the computer that might need internet access and get it configured before you hand it off to grandma.

...or your parents!

I can still hear my mom's cries of frustration: "What the heck is Generic Host Processes???" :thumbsup:

#9 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:17 AM

Whenever your filewall pops up with something like this, simply drag the box to the bottom of the screen, open up firefox (if you have McAfee Sight-Advisor installed,it will make things even easier) go to Google, and type in he name of the process or item that your firewall has named. There are many trustworthy sights that will inform you if the item is safe to allow or not. Once you have an idea, then you can drag the box back up and perform your action.

:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users