Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Architecturer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 afridy

afridy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:24 PM

Hai friends.

Conventional Memory: The first 640 KB of system memory is the (in)famous conventional memory that every PC user has over time grown to know and hate. This is the area that is available for use by standard DOS programs, along with many drivers, memory-resident programs, and most anything else that has to run under standard DOS. It is found at addresses 00000h to 9FFFFh.

Friends. i just strtd to learn the memory architecturer. i am now very good in Hexa, binry, decimal number systems etc. In the above quote when talking about Conventional Memory it says "It is found at addresses 00000h to 9FFFFh". when interpred to decimal it shows 0 to 655,359 .
Now my questions is

What is this 0 to 655,359 in memory? Can any body pls explain with an example?

Regards
afridy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

It's from 0 - 655,359 bytes which is the first 640 kilobytes of RAM (655,359 divided by 1024, since there are actually 1024 bytes to a kilobyte, not 1000 as many people think, mainly as a result of being misinformed.

Edited by pip22, 28 November 2006 - 02:40 PM.

#3 afridy

afridy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:57 AM

It's from 0 - 655,359 bytes which is the first 640 kilobytes of RAM (655,359 divided by 1024, since there are actually 1024 bytes to a kilobyte, not 1000 as many people think, mainly as a result of being misinformed.

Hai pip22 Thank you for the answer.

I also wanted to know how this 640k or the total memory available in computer have devided in to storage locations (i am not mean conventional/upper/hma/xms)?

what each storage capacity?

How single memeory storage location is identified?

Pls...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:48 AM

In the old days computers could only access that first 640 kB of memory (actually it was 1 mB with some reserved) - and there had to be special "tricks" in order to access more.

I haven't studied this in a long while, but I believe that the 640 k is a part of the conventional memory - and everything above it is the uppper/hma/xms memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Memory_Area
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users