Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ohmy God! Please Help! Please!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Robin_norway

Robin_norway

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:25 PM

Ok, so I tried to re-install Windows XP Pro today and it went fine until it was 34 minutes left of the installation. Then it stopped and stood still for maybe an hour or more. I was like WTH and tried to re-boot to see if it just crashed or something, the installer started again and stopped on 34 minutes and I tried to re-boot yet again and same thing happens.

Can somebody please tell me why?

And no, the disc is unscratched and as clean as something really clean. The fact that I have to use somebody elses computer too write this should be "proof" of that I am in deep bleep. Now Windows installer don't start and neither do Windows. All I get is a black screen.

PLEASE HELP ME!! What in the world have I done??? :thumbsup:
And more importantly,what can I do? ;_;;

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

You should first delete the existing system partition, as the existing files on it may be interfering with setup. Much better to install on to a 'clean' new partition.

Edited by pip22, 28 November 2006 - 02:47 PM.

#3 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

Yes maybe I should, but I can't. I can't do anything...
I'm screwed now right?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:17 PM

How to do a clean install of XP At the very bottom of the page is also a link for a "step by step" process. If that will be of help?

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:14 AM

Thanks, but how do I copy 4,2 MB on one floppy boot disc? :thumbsup:
I downloaded and copied the XP boot disc to a JumpDrive from work BTW.

#6 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:55 AM

Why are you trying to boot from a floppy? You need to boot from your CD Rom.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

Here is what Micro$oft has to say about your issue:

Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

Thanks a lot.

It may be my USB or Video Card,the first I think, but thanks a lot man. :thumbsup:

@ nlinecomputers: If I could, I would but I can't apparently... Thanks anyway :flowers:
A friend is going to helpme with a boot disc, he says it's worth a shot before I spend way too much money at my retailer, atleast I can format my system drive if it works and then I will take out everything I can and put in my old Video Card too see if it installs.

And Frankenstein, you just made my mood and hopes better/bigger :trumpet:

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

Wow! Way cool link Albert!

A suggestion, if I may. Disconnect all hardware that you absolutely don't need to start the computer.

Start by removing anything that's connected to the outside of the case - leave only the power cord, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and NIC connection.

If you've got any "different" cards installed (other than sound, video, NIC), remove them prior to the installation also (a TV card can do this

We can presume that the motherboard and it's internal devices, the PSU, the CPU, the RAM, the hard drive and the CD drive are good (since setup gets to 34 minutes). Since it takes until you reach the 34 minute mark, it's not likely to be any of the devices that you've used up to that point (although a bad driver on the XP CD could do this).

In other words, it's something else that's probably causing this - the more that you unplug the more likely you are to be able to complete the install.

The logfiles described in the article that Albert linked to will enable troubleshooting for a specific cause. If you're able to access them, they may be useful.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

Thanks a lot.

It may be my USB or Video Card,the first I think, but thanks a lot man. :thumbsup:

@ nlinecomputers: If I could, I would but I can't apparently... Thanks anyway :flowers:
A friend is going to helpme with a boot disc, he says it's worth a shot before I spend way too much money at my retailer, atleast I can format my system drive if it works and then I will take out everything I can and put in my old Video Card too see if it installs.

And Frankenstein, you just made my mood and hopes better/bigger :trumpet:

About the booting from CD. If you are thinking that you can't boot from CD because it hangs during the install, floppies will NOT help. Albert's link is why your having problems. The boot up routines are the same with CD rom and floppy.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#11 Robin_norway

Robin_norway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

Thanks, but I need to format my hard drive because of the aborted installation right? I get blank screens and can't continue the install even if I take out any hardware. How can I format my HDD now?

I can take out everything but what is required formy system to work and even install an old video card incase it's my Radeon causing problems.

Is there any way for me to uninstall windows or format my HDD? Or maybe boot up on something.I have two HDD's can that help me? Like if I change the master drive?

Edited by Robin_norway, 30 November 2006 - 10:15 AM.

#12 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

While installing XP you will be given the option of formatting your hard drive. It is part of the installation process.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#13 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

Albert,

I am seriously impressed with that 34min Microsoft link. You are my current Geek God:)
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#14 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:59 PM

I am seriously impressed with that 34min Microsoft link. You are my current Geek God:)

Thank you. Would you like to be the President of my fan club? :thumbsup:

The computer freezing while installing XP is fairly common, and Microsoft has certainly seen these errors before. A simple search of their Knowledge Base uncovers these articles. Another common issue is a problem is at the 23 minute mark.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 30 November 2006 - 05:00 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#15 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

If I may...

Also, whenever you're installing an OS, it's better to let it install natively. What I mean is don't install any 3rd party devices or such while it's doing an initial install (even when it asks you if you want to). I've seen where that can also cause problems. Not saying that's the case here, but it's for anyone else that reads this, and wants to install other stuff they have while installing their OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users