Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&d

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

For security on my pc I have the following programmes installed.

Comodo Firewall,
Avast Antivirus,
Spybot S&D,
AdAware,
Spyware Blaster,
Startup Inspector.

I keep them up to date and tend to use one of them on a daily basis by rotation. This morning I went to start Spybot S&D. On startup I got the message that something had been changed and as Spybot didn't change itself I should check for viruses / malware immediately. I set it away and when it finished I got the "Congratulations (no immediate threats were found) message.

I then visited this site where after reading the post titled (Spybot, to immunize or not) I decided to follow the instuctions on immunization. As I couldn't remember if I had installed the tea timer option I decided to follow the Tutorial Sections advice on Spybot. there is a paragraph between Fig 6 and Fig 7 which I followed and found that I had 3 boxes checked which I unchecked and then restarted Spybot and set it away again.
The boxes I unchecked were as follows.

PRODUCT CATEGORY
cdilla pups
cdilla revision
pup trojans

This time when it finished I got the following message. On top I had a little warning triangle with the following; Error during check, Microsoft. Windows. RedirectedHosts [7] (Invalid.... . Underneath this I got the "Congratulations, no immediate threats were found.

Could someone tell me what this means and does it have anything to do with the boxes I unchecked in the settings. Thanks in advance for any help.
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:14 PM

Hello there:

It sounds as though you have an infection on your computer that is playing havoc with Spybot. I suggest you follow the directions in this guide. Then create an HJT log, you will find the directions in the guide.

Create a new topic in this forum, not here and give it a good descriptive title. Briefly summarize what the problems are, what you have done to try to solve it, and what worked and didn't work and paste in your HJT log.

After you post your log, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

Please be patient as the HJT team is very busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response in five days, add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

Error during check, Microsoft. Windows. RedirectedHosts [7] (Invalid....

Could you give the entire error message?

More information on cdilla:

The short explaination:
CDilla and SideStep no longer met the criteria for inclusion as spyware.
Some people do not wish to have these applications on their system, and consider them undesirable.

C-Dilla, cdilla and cdac11ba.exe are MacroVision’s SafeCast copy protection software to protect downloaded software from illegal copying.

Sidestep automatically compares prices side-by-side in travel sites and product comparisons.

They don't send your surfing information back to anyone, so are mostly harmless, and not actually ad/spyware.

Why are CDilla & SideStep checked in Ignore Products?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for the explanation on Cdilla etc TQ1911. for the first point that was the complete message but I think I may have found out why I have had problems.

Avast reported a problem with updating and had to restart my PC. While rebooting I got a message that I had a missing file on start up registry and I was strongly advised to let Chkdisc do a scan and repair it. When Chkdisc had finished it had found some corrupt entries and had repaired them.

I think the reason for the problem has been the fact that since finding the link to Windows LiveOne Care scanner here approx six weeks ago I have been doing a full scan of my PC once a week since. A few days ago I read the post by I think Usasma who advised against this as it could possibly cause the registry to become corrupt. I think this is what has happened and hopefully the Chkdisc has solved it.

I am very security conscious and usually do a check with one of my programs daily. Last night before going to bed I started AVG Antispyware which found two tracking cookies which I deleted. this morning I scanned with SpyBot and then Adaware and both reported 0 spyware found.

thanks again for the help,
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:26 AM

You're welcome, bluesjunior.
Glad the problem has been resolved.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:50 AM

Sorry to bother you again TQ1911 but I recieved this warning while running SpyBot S&D today.

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\Malware.sbi | RegFreeze | Registy

Do you know what this means?.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:06 AM

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threa...;threatid=42215
Advice Type: Remove DescriptionRegfreeze is a program that purports to scan for and repair errors in the Windows registy. Add. Description Regfreeze uses aggressive and deceptive marketing methods and has been seen bundled with adware. Regfreeze normally is installed after uers click on deceptive pop-up advertising informing them that that have system errors. Regfreeze scans for and reports supposed errors, but will not repair them unless the user pays for the program. AuthorActualResearch Author URLactualresearch.com File Traces %local_settings\temp\regfreeze.exe %PROGRAM_FILES%\regfreeze\askmod\askmod.exe %PROGRAM_FILES%\regfreeze\bz.dll %PROGRAM_FILES%\regfreeze\regfreeze.exe %PROGRAM_FILES%\regfreeze\rfsearchhandler.dll %windows%\rfscanax.dll
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:40 PM

thanks for the reply Buddy215.

Are you saying i should download and use the Beta on the link you gave. If so will there be any conflict with Comodo as I can see that Sunbelt are the same people who have Kerio?. sorry for being a pain but i'm not very PC techy.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:54 PM

Check to see if you have any of the files mentioned in that excerpt. For some reason when I copied the excerpt it all ran together. Use the link to get the file names and locations for reg.freeze.
I am not sure whether Spybot was flagging an actual rogue program or not. You can also check your Add/Remove program list to see if it is in there.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users