Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft's strategy for addressing spyware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Daisuke

Daisuke

Cleaner on Duty

• Members
  • 5,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:35 AM

Microsoft's vision for anti-spyware is that customers should be empowered to make informed decisions about the software that installs and runs on their computers. Microsoft will take steps toward this vision by making it easier for customers to gain insight into what's running on the system, to better discern good software from bad software, and to block and remove spyware from a PC. To accomplish this, Microsoft is taking specific approaches in the following areas:

Technology
Microsoft will provide solutions to protect Windows users with technology to block, find, and remove spyware and other potentially unwanted software.

Consumer Guidance & Engagement
Microsoft will provide resources to help inform and educate customers on how to prevent spyware and other potentially unwanted software from impacting their PCs.

Industry Collaboration
Microsoft will collaborate with industry leaders to identify and address spyware.

Legislation & Law Enforcement
Microsoft will work to help discourage the development and distribution of spyware and other unwanted software.

Spyware Solutions: Technology and Leadership

Edited by cryo, 26 December 2004 - 04:36 AM.

Everyday is virus day. Do you know where your recovery CDs are ?
Did you create them yet ?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 26 December 2004 - 10:49 AM

Its about time!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:10 PM

I was looking for:

Microsoft will issue timely patches to security vulnerabilities.

I would be more concerned with trojans and viruses than some spyware, but I guess it is a matter of what is seen as a priority. MS's security responses, such as they are, do not leave me with a warm and happy feeling about its antispyware solutions.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:12 PM

MS thinks they can fix this by buying a company who writes anti-spyware programs?? :thumbsup:
When will they wake up and realize that doing away with Active-X and unhooking the web browser from the operating system is the only solution.
I'm sorry but being a Linux user I can't imagine any program let alone a browser having access to critical system files. There's a root user and roots files are protected for a reason.
Screw up my /home directory...fine...delete that user and all files and make a new one,restore from a known good backup and i've lost hmmm 20-30 minutes and don't even have to reboot my machine.

Microsoft will work to help discourage the development and distribution of spyware and other unwanted software.

It's Microsoft's work that encourages and allows this behavior in the first place.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users