Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Read A Cd Burned On A Mac

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

I have a freind who sent me pics on a cd that he had burned using Toast on his Mac. I am using XP Pro and cannot see anything on the disk. When I look at the disk I can see that something has been burned to it, but when I put it in the CD drive, it comes up as empty.

Any ideas? Is this because he burned it on a mac? If so, is there any software that I can install so that I can see the pics?

Or is this just a bad burn, perhaps the session was not closed properly?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

it's not the CD that's incompatible as such, it's the image files on it. Some image formats are not cross-platform, you have to save them according to whether they are for for PC or Mac (the 'byte order' is different but don't ask me to expand on that please!).

From memory, I think TIFF images have to be saved according to the intended platform (where the option is available). Where no option exists then it will only be compatible with the host platform, or the chosen format is cross-platform.

JPEG format images, however, are cross platform I think, without any platform option required, but I can't swear to that.

The last time I gave some images to a mac owner from my PC, they were in TIFF format (to preserve quality) and I used the "save for macintosh" option in Photoshop. He had no trouble viewing them on his mac.

Unfortunately, not all image editing software gives you the choice of which platform to save the image to even when using a format that's not cross-platform. You'll have to ask your friend which image-editor he uses and to check what saving options it has. If he sent you TIFFS, ask him to save as JPEGs instead and try those.

Edited by pip22, 28 November 2006 - 03:28 PM.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hi AF.
I believe your friend may have the option of creating a "hybrid" cd that addresses the whole HSF vs. ISO 9660 file standard used between the two different systems. This may be the problem and is explained a little better here.
Might want to post this one in the Mac forum too, that is if you haven't already done that.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for your help, guys! Problem solved.

Hey HitSquad, the link you provided led me to a program called MacDisk that I was able to install and then read the cd and copy the photos off of it. LINK TO MACDISK

Thanks again!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:10 AM

Ya, I checked out MacDisk before I posted the link but wasn't going to suggest you try it mainly because it's limited (1mb per file copy) trialware and I have never used it myself. Sometimes that cross platform stuff can be a little "ify", if you know what I mean. Anyway, glad you got your pics. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users