Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, Windows Update has gone insane

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Suicidal

Suicidal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 26 December 2004 - 03:58 AM

I recently reinstalled windows xp (clean) and I thought that win update had downloaded all the fixes/patches etc. The past two days win update has been downloading a single update. I’m on dial up but still I estimate that the files its downloading have to add up to at least a 150 MB. This seems wrong and I can’t figure out what the hell windows update is downloading and where its going. Currently its at 61% and I think it will take another day to finish.
Pretty sure this isn’t normal.
I would really appreciate any help.
Thank.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 26 December 2004 - 06:00 AM

It appears you may be downloading the XP SP2 upgrade - which is 150 + Mb.

It also sounds as though your dial-up may only be operating at 2-3Kbs (and it could
be slowed further depending on what other applications may be active on your system.)

You could opt to order the free SP2 CD from MSN. It will take a week to several
to get to you via USPS. (It is larger 250 Mb+, but usually installs in under an hour.)

You might also choose to peruse posts relating to XP SP2 upgrades further back in the
"Operating Systems -> Windows XP/NT/2000/2003" forum.

Feel free to ask more questions in this thread. Someone will jump in and help out.

BTW :flowers: to BleepingComputer

regards,
Koan

:thumbsup:

Edited by KoanYorel, 26 December 2004 - 06:04 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Suicidal

Suicidal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 26 December 2004 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the info. XP SP2 clears things up. I just didn't expect that it would be that large. When i though of security patches i didn't expect them to be almost as big as the whole OS :thumbsup:
I ordered the win xp sp2 cd a few days ago actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users