Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Name Is Reserved For Bc Chat Room!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:04 AM

I've logged onto (into?) the BC chat room with my name (stevealmighty), chatted for a while and had no problems. A while later (months) I went to log back into the chat room, and was unable to do so, being told that my name was reserved for a staff member. Hmmm....so I tried logging in as "steve" and got the same message. I ended up logging on under a different screen name (spitterfu).

I guess my question is why is it I can't logon as stevealmighty if I've alredy done it in the past? Is it a simple error or am I doing something wrong (although, it's not that hard to type in stevealmighty! LOL!).

Thanks for any help with this :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

Did you register your Nick, and Password?
If not, someone else might have beat you to it, giving them soul access to the Nick.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:42 AM

Hmmm...I don't ever recall being asked to register it....I'll have to check into that. Although, who'd want the name "stevealmighty"? Kind of a weird name if I don't say so myself :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:45 AM

I am in the chat right now stevealmighty and I performed the command to see whowas stevealmighty. It says there was no such nickname. If you join us again in the chat I hope I am there. Sorry I missed you.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:42 AM

I am in the chat right now stevealmighty and I performed the command to see whowas stevealmighty. It says there was no such nickname. If you join us again in the chat I hope I am there. Sorry I missed you.

:thumbsup: Huh? Really? That's odd, because when I tried to log in using that nickname, it gave me that error (Name is reserved for staff member...or something to that effect!). I can't get to the chat from work (Access is denied), but I'll try it again when I get home, and post a screen shot of the error I get.

I'll have to try it again! It's really a pain when I have to log on under another name and then run around saying "Hi everyone! It's me, Stevealmighty!" Which appears (something) like this:

spitterfu> Hi everyone! It's me Stevealmighty!

otheruser>No, you're spitterfu.

spitterfu>No, I'm really Stevealmighty!

otheruser>Sure. Remind me to have you banned...after I call the police.

spitterfu> :flowers:

I can't get to the chat from work (Access is denied), but I'll try it again when I get home, and post a screen shot of the error I get.
Posted Image

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:44 AM

If you're able to logon as stevealmighty, enter this in:
/msg nickserv register password

Replace the word "password", with your password.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:46 AM

EDIT~

To register your nickname
/msg nickserv register yourpassword youremail

Once you register you will need to identify to the server
/msg nickserv identify yourpassword

Edited by Pandy, 28 November 2006 - 10:51 AM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

Nope, still unable to log in as stevealmighty. Odd, because the first time I logged into chat, I was stevealmighty, then the second time it wouldn't let me. So, I logged in as steve. Then, the second time it wouldn't let me log in as steve. So, I logged in as spitterfu. I'm logged in right now as spitterfu....hmmm...any advice, or should I just assume a different name (kinda like the FBI witness protection program?). :thumbsup:

clickable thumbnail for the error message i get

Posted Image

Scratch all this...Pandy walked me through all of this registering stuff....although all of the "stevealmighy" names were taken...along with anything that had "steve" in it...so I'm on as "spitterfu".... :flowers:

Thanks for all the help everyone! And a special thanks to you Pandy for holding my hand and walking me through this!

Edited by stevealmighty, 28 November 2006 - 11:11 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users