Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Making A Audio Cd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:02 AM

I have some Imation - CDRW 1X-4X CDs which I have been trying to use as audio CDs. I can burn the music files to them but they will not play on any of my audio equipment, only on the computer. Can anyone tell me if these CDs are suitable for this purpose? and if not, can they recommend some that are.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:09 AM

Are you burning them as Audio CD's, or Data CD's.
You need Audio to play in most players.

Another problem, is that some players don't recognize CD-RW's, only CD-R's.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:28 AM

As stated, RW's won't work and they should be burned as a music-audio cd, not data. Also, what format are the music files? I believe most players will do mp3's, but I'm not sure. So, I've gotten into the habit of converting them to .wav and then burning them.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:52 AM

If they are in .mp3 format, and you burn them as Data, they will remain in .mp3 format.
If you burn them as Audio, your burning program will convert them to .wav on the fly, so there's no need to convert them beforehand.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

For the sake of conformity, it's best to use cd-r's. Make sure that they are finalized as well.
Older cd playback equipment will not play unfinalized cd's nor mp3's. Wave files are larger but sound better and work on the older stuff as well as the new.

#6 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:21 PM

It's funny you should all say this because rummaging about, I found a couple of old write only CDs which were the cheapest I could find at the time. I recorded the same music files onto one of these and it played perfectly on my Hi Fi equipment. The format was a mixture of wav, wma and mp3, but the Windows Media Player converts them all into the same format. The same happens when using Nero. So I guess that's the answer then, only use cd-r's. Thanks everyone, you've been a great help.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:50 PM

You're welcome, 1up2down.
Glad to be of help.
It's good to hear you got it working.
Enjoy the jams. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users