Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Doesn't Read Cds Or Dvds Anymore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 schmo_lh

schmo_lh

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:08 AM

hi there,

my computer is really stuffed up, it goes to the blue screen a lot of times and now it can't read cds or dvds that i put into the computer. when i go to y computer it says that the drives are empty and please put a disc in. i was hoping that someone could help me, my previous topic was called 'computer restarts frequently' if you wanted to look at it. i was also wondering if i'd be better off by just formatting my computer and start from scratch. but i want to point out that i only just formatted my computer 2 months ago. and prior to me formatting the computer, the blue screen of death also appeared. please can someone help me.

thanks a tonne

schmo_lh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:28 AM

Well if it is reseting with BSOD all of the time and also now not being able to read CD's then I would say that is it likely a hardware issue. Or a driver issue. Since you have only just re-formatted and it is still happening then the later is less likely. do you have any information from the BSOD screen.
Posted Image

#3 schmo_lh

schmo_lh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:57 AM

um i posted information on the BSOD screen earlier and here is the link to that page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry397500

that's all i got from it. you could say that i am basically illiterate when it comes to computers, so any help that i get, i am very gracious.

thanks projectfocus

schmo_lh

#4 schmo_lh

schmo_lh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:47 AM

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME! ITS DRIVING ME INSANE! I CAN'T EVEN FORMAT MY COMPUTER! HELP PLEASE!

schmo_lh

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:54 PM

It's time to check some of your hardware. First, the RAM, and then the hard drive.

Here is a RAM tester: Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

Then go to your hard drive manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out:

• Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
  • Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
  • Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
  • Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
  • Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users