Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only 3% Overclocked And Already I Cant Boot?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SPL Tech

SPL Tech

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:05 AM

The equipment I have is:

CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400
RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2 (dual channel configuration)
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II
HD: 250 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB.
OD: 52X DVD±RW
Monitor: Hanns-G 19" DVI LCD widescreen

I started overclocking the CPU in the BIOS tonight. I got to only 2.232 GHz. and I couldn’t boot. However I know that if I leave the computer unplugged for a few seconds the mobo woill disable the overclocking and let me reboot. So I did that and entered the BIOS as soon as booted up and reenabled the overclocking and Windows started fine overclocked at 2.232 GHz. Then after I ran all my benchmarking tests and such I restarted again to overclock more. This time I choose 2.264 Ghz. I saved it in the BIOS and once again I could not boot. So I unplugged the computer again to revert to OEM settings and rebooted into the BIOS. And once again I reenabled the overclocking but this time I increased the vcore from 1.325 volts (stock voltage) to 1.33125 volts (one click up) and saved and exit. The computer restarted and once again I could not boot. So I unplugged the computer again and reverted to OEM settings and I just left the overclock off and that is where I am now.

So what’s going on? I talked to people with this same processor that said they did not even have to touch the vcore until 2.8GHz. I am but barely 5% OC’ed.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. This is how I went about things:

I started out at 2.175 Ghz. I ran PC Wizard 2006 and benchmarked the CPU. I wrote down the Whetstone (FPU) Wheitstone (SSE2) and Dhrystone results. I then keept the program open to monitor CPU temp, voltage and loading.

Then I ran two instances of Prime 95 (one for each CPU) and ran the torture test on each and choose the in-place large FFT’s for max heat consumption. I ran the program for about 4 minuets with both CPU’s loaded 100% and recorded the average CPU temperature.

Then I close Prime 95 and open CPU Stability Test 6.0 and test the computer for stability for about 4 minuets.

It was stable every time.

As far as the steps I took in overclocking and the temperature recorded I got:

1: 2.175 Ghz., 47-48 C
2: 2.207 Ghz., 48-50 C
3: 2.232 GHz., 49-50 C
4: 2.264 GHz., 50-51 C

So whats wrong?
CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:20 AM

It could be that the RAM your using has Micron D9, which has had compatibility problems with the DS3. Go here to find out what chips your RAM is using.

Also, are you running the RAM at 1:1?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:26 AM

Overclocking is a complicated subject - and it has impacts on all of your system components. Although your Core 2 Duo may be able to handle the overclock - other components may not.

There are settings (as Mr Alpha has noted) that will affect how the RAM, video, PCI bus, etc will run when overclocking via the FSB.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users