Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lazy In America

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

We americans have it easy now days. Or at least a lot of us. I have seen old western shows of how life used to be. It may have been hard but it was simple. You worked for your food and had fun in ponds and creeks or horses.

Now we have to build huge houses to feel good and have super big tv's and if we dont have internet or cable tv we are going to go mad. I dont have direct tv by the way. I have found it a waste of time as the more you see the more you want to watch and well I have better things to do. Well thats not usually the case. Usually its all nothing I want to see and isnt worth 50 bucks a month.

Obesity is huge in america. Is it really all the foods fault? The foods we eat today are terrible for us. Soda causes cancer and sugar causes fat.

Did you know that by doing nothing you actually feel worse than if you were to get up and move.

I mean now days people are so lazy they dont want to do the laundy or the dishes.

Drying the clothes is just so hard I mean to take them from a AUTO washer just 2 feet away is so stressful. :thumbsup:

I have saw how they used to do it. I went to a amish comunity last year and it was amazing really. Everything done the old way.

Clothes were actually washed prob by hand and then wrung out by hand. Then taken outside and put on a line and taken off hours later.

Dishes done by hand.

We are so lazy compared to them. Not saying everyone is but have you too noticed things that are lazy that you do or someone else does?

Like now we have nail guns! I mean the hammer was hard at times but it worked and went everywhere. But with a air gun you need a air compressor a hose reel and a gun. Plus electricity to make it all work.

This electricity is made by machines that pollute the air.

The only pollution a horse and buggy made was well you know....

Pollution makes us sick and hurts the enviroment.

Wanting everything easy is actually hurting us. Most products we use are very energy in-efficient and could be made better but its cheaper to make them this way.

example:
Light bulbs are actually heaters that give off light as a by product.

Light bulbs put out mostly heat. We now have new ones out there like flourescent bulbs. We use them in our home but most people dont. If everyone used them we could save lots of money and lots of greenhouse gasses from going into the air.

I live on a farm. I have seen other kids come over and just cant do anything. They have no endurance and arent strong. They cant handle being in the heat or the cold because they are used to AC and Heaters.

We went to this school for a thing about a month ago. In the gym there was this pullup rack. I could hardly believe that this kid just 1 year younger than me could not even barely go half way up! I could do several in a row.

As technology improves we have to do less and less.

Do you think americans are lazy or just "work smart" ha ha

One more thing. Its so funny now days you have to pay some gym so you can "exercise". After a day where I live you dont need to pay anyone you just worked all day and earned money while doing it.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:14 AM

Well said CGM,and am I allowed to say Aussies are no different. I blame the parents,because they are responsible for their children. Too often I see mothers feeding their children fast food,because they are simply too lazy to cook a decent meal for them.Everybody seems to take the easy option all the time,regardless of the future health problems which they will no doubt experience in later life.

All these electronic games, in my opinion are killing our children.They are stuck inside playing these games instead of getting to exercise vital for a growing body.Half of them wouldn't have a clue how to play games with other children out in the backyard any more.A lot of them have problems interacting socially due to fact they spend so much time on their own.

I still miss the simple life when I was young.We worked hard,played hard and had real food to eat, instead of all this junk food available today.There wasn't any fast food takeaways back then,and I'm so glad.

I am ten days into a thirty day self imposed ban on any TV or Cell Phone useage, and I don't miss them
one little bit.We don't need all this junk in my opinion to be happy.The media would have us believe otherwise.We are too dependant on this garbage, and I for one is experimenting on what I can live without.

The Amish people might take the simple life too far,but I will bet they are happier than most of us.
Too much of "keeping up with the jones" in my opinion.One neighbour gets a wide screen TV, so everyboby has to buy one ,whether they can afford one or not. Same with cars and swimming pools just to name a few.I can afford a new car,but if the one I have got does the job,whats the point of buying a new one just to impress everybody.
Having all these material things which we can live without, only makes life more complicated, not happierIMHO.

Edited by DSTM, 28 November 2006 - 01:43 AM.

#3 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:19 AM

Did two years of intensive research on my ancestors in both Scotland and Wales - and then their immigration to Canada in the mid-1800s. While having their names and dates were 'okay' and having their photos was far better - best of all, for me at least, was when my interest veered to what their lives were really like - plus all the 'inventions' along the way. You're right, most of us literally would not survive even a couple months - and they had no social services or health care to fall back on either. Wow, everyone's ancestors have my greatest admiration! (I could cope with dragging water from the nearest creek and a lot of other stuff - although far from all of it - but woe, how I would miss my instant hot/water and showers and especially indoor plumbing!).

Agree completely that 'gunk food' is best reserved as a special treat, rather than a regular diet - but am unsure if it's laziness that is always the cause. Suspect with so many working parents now, exhaustion could be one of the reason so many are apparently finding it simply easier than cooking every night?

I'm not defending the video games at all, but do wonder if the danger children face playing outdoors alone has a lot to do with them being 'confined' to the house unless a responsible adult is with them at all times. (And while I limit the little ones to playing for 1/2 hour, here I sit playing with my computer for far longer than that, nearly every day - :thumbsup:

And our generations becoming lazier - yes, I guess we are (reminds me of an old song called "In the year 2525"). But how I would hate to part with my washer/dryer/stove/fridge/freezer. (Have a dishwasher and do use it, but don't mind doing them by hand at all).

I smiled when I read your words about keeping your car because it's simply fine, DSTM - I feel the same way about ours, it'll simply have to age gracefully right along with us :flowers: And we gave away scads of like-new gadgets just before our move a year ago and don't miss them a bit - but then again it could be because I'm simply lazy and found it was literally easier to peel/chop veggies by hand rather than dig out the fancy thing, etc.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

On the horizon
there was a light,
and I could see
salvation.

A Wii Workout

The new console has been wildly successful, selling out at stores and winning high marks from critics and game buffs. But as players spend more time with the Wii, some are noticing that hours waving the game's controller around can add up to fairly intense exertion -- resulting in aches and pains common in more familiar forms of exercise. They're reporting aching backs, sore shoulders -- even something some have dubbed "Wii elbow."

"It's harder than playing basketball," says Kaitlin Franke, a 12-year-old from Louisville, Ky. She has been camped out in front of her family's TV, fine-tuning her bowling motion and practicing boxing footwork in two of the Wii's games. Almost immediately, she says, her right arm started to feel numb.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

exhaustion could be one of the reason so many are apparently finding it simply easier than cooking every night?

Yes but they are doing nothing compared to what people used to do.
A day typing on a computer is nothing like a day of digging a well by hand or a day or really washing clothes by hand.

People find it so hard to even take the trash out of the house as this is "hard work"....

I am sure this just cant be america.

I have 2 grandpa's the same age. One is my dads dad and he works on the farm and has since he was little.

The other(moms dad) used to farm too(not dairy though) but retired at like age 50 because he didnt want to work anymore.

Now we went on vacation with moms dad and he was going to carry a couple of 24 oz 12 packs up to the room. We were on the 2nd floor. He went half way up the stairs and had to almost start crawling to get up. It took him forever to get up. Now all he does at home is watch tv all day and sleep 12-14 hours a day. Sometimes he does go outside and sit under the trees or work a small garden in the summer.

My other papa can work on the farm all day just fine. I mean he is not as fast as me or have as much energy but afterall he is 70 years old.

By doing nothing my other grandpa finds it hard to even move.

Kids get the same way. They do nothing but drink sweet drinks and play vid games all day. I mean even when at school they SIT in class for hours during the day and then come home and sit down to watch tv and do nothing for the rest of the night.

Not all kids do this though.

This one guy we know is a old man(upper 70's I think) and works a farm. He hires help to help him do his work. He said these kids that come help him(like 18+ I guess) can do nothing hardly. He tells them if they cant work as hard as he can he dont want them and fires them.

Its pretty sad teens and young adults cant do what a 70 something year old man can do.

And the food might have a lot to do with it too. Try this and see what happenes.

Go run around and work up a nice sweat. You know do some exercises or work outside. Get nice and thirsty. Then go grab a soda of some kind and drink it. Trust me you wont feel good at all and might get sick.

On top of that the soda wont quench your thirst and will make you more thirsty. If you were to drink a glass of water you would not be thirsty anymore and would not feel sick.

Sadly many kids drink these pepsi's and cokes all day long even after exercise. No wonder they feel tired and are overweight.

The food we eat helps us move. Eating the wrong kinds of foods and drinks is like puting water in the gas tank.

My cousins grandpa died recently of cancer. Guess what he drank all the time? Diet pepsi and sodas. My cousins all the time tell me of how his wife there grandma just drinks and drinks diet pepsi.

I have even heard of people only drinking pepsi all the time. They dont even want water. This is what makes them fat and unhealthy.

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

The Wii sounds like it would be great fun, Mr. Alpha - are you asking Santa for one? :thumbsup:

I do agree with you about our health being very dependent on what we eat, CGM - in fact, I have a wee theory that it's not just the junk food we put into our mouths, it's the quality of 'real' food we eat that affects us, as well.

Pop - well, we all know it's filled with no nutrients at all and in fact, a teacher once did a little experiment for us in Grade 2. She poured a bottle of Coke over a hunk of raw meat before we left school one afternoon and by the next morning, the meat was full of holes 'eaten away' by the Coke. Yuck. Of course, now that I'm older I realize our stomachs handle things differently than a hunk of raw meat does, but still the lesson stuck and pop was a rare experience in my childhood and continues to be.

This is not to say you are incorrect in your assessment of what we do physically today being minor compared to our ancestors, but other factors have crept into our worlds as 'progress' moves forward.

For instance, my father was born in 1887 (yup, I was a massive surprise!!) and as a child he and his siblings worked on their family homestead, ate what they produced by canning, salting and drying or packing eggs in lard over the winter, etc. Not a bit of it had been tampered with in any way - no sprays, no cloning so tomatoes would last months after picking, none of the cattle received injections for antibiotics and definitely none of them ate ground up bones from dead cattle, etc.

But food aside, life-style was vastly different. The fathers went out to work the fields, etc and the women helped draw water from the nearest source to water the seedlings, etc. And while both men and women work often from dawn to dusk and must have suffered physical exhaustion quite beyond my true understanding, their life was easier in some ways. Honestly.

There was no television and no radios - so they could not fret and worry a zillion times a day abou things they could not change. There was no magazines like we have today to tell young girls they are not socially acceptable if they aren't built tall and skinny with perfect cheek-bones. There was no electricity so by nightfall, one lit lamps or candles and the family entertained themselves and their social life usually consisted of Sunday socials and Church held in private homes by Ministers who travelled from house to house during the month(s).

I'm not saying it was easier physically then, just that emotionally/mentally things were completely different then - and while I'd fight to my death for a women's right to work outside of the home, then women stayed home to raise their family. That was their 'job'. Now, most women still raise their families but most also work outside the home, as well. (Very much like having two near-never-ending jobs at all times).

Our society has changed - some things better and some major things far worse. We live across the street from a Park, yet when grandchildren come to visit it would be an insane decision to let them play there unsupervised. Very sad.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

I would want a Wii, except I don't have a TV (right about now I usually start getting them weird looks). Nor do I have a radio, newspapers or magazines. I do, however, have some journals. :thumbsup:

An interesting anecdote: Leo Laporte told on a podcast (TWiT) that he used to work at McDonalds. At the end of the day everything is inventoried and then thrown away. He thought it was a waste ans so took it over to a local dog-pound, but they would let the dogs eat it. Something about proteins and no nutritional value.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:51 PM

I remember my days of getting water from a nearby stream and carrying the buckets a 1/8 mile up to the top of the small mountain I lived on. My home was an eight feet by 16 feet uninsulated cabin built n the 1800s that was warmed by a wood stove. The winter temperatures would dip to 35F below zero and sometimes much colder. I had to cut my wood and stack it. To wash I would warm a pan of water on the stove. I even cooked on that small wood stove. I had to heat water to do my laundry which was scrubbed on a pine plank then hung to dry on a rope stretched between trees. My bathroom was an outhouse which I dug by hand and built from rough cut lumber. I had no electricity, no portable radio or TV and no car. I walked 4 miles to the store for necessities.

This was only 20 years ago when I was in my 30s. I worked 12 hour days, 7 days a week doing everything from construction to logging. Those were the most enjoyable 6 years of my life.

I have to agree that todays youth is spoiled and live unhealthy. At the moment I have an older guy, 66 years old, working for me. He puts all of the kids to shame. He will carry 80 lbs. blocks or pick and shovel all day long without complaint. Rarely does he take a breather.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

Yeah and you MADE your own house. You cut wood with oh my a axe...ha ha
Cutting the grass meant getting a "push mower"(not a gas one a blade type mower).

#10 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

I would want a Wii, except I don't have a TV (right about now I usually start getting them weird looks). Nor do I have a radio, newspapers or magazines. I do, however, have some journals. :thumbsup:

An interesting anecdote: Leo Laporte told on a podcast (TWiT) that he used to work at McDonalds. At the end of the day everything is inventoried and then thrown away. He thought it was a waste ans so took it over to a local dog-pound, but they would let the dogs eat it. Something about proteins and no nutritional value.

Hmmm, none of the above but you do have a computer :flowers: Actually, I won't give you any strange looks, I promise - because we too don't get a newspaper or magazines and, in fact, have stopped watching most news on television. Out of the loop, yes, but beats fretting about things totally beyond our control.

Re McDonalds ... I knew a young man who was the Manager of a local one and very carefully, following inventory each night he worked, he placed the left over burgers, etc just outside their huge garbage bin at the back. And yes, the homeless no doubt suffered from vitamin deficency from this steady diet, but at least they ate. This young man was fired when another employee reported him to the owner - guess it's against their regulations. Sigh.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

On top of that the soda won't quench your thirst and will make you more thirsty. If you were to drink a glass of water you would not be thirsty anymore and would not feel sick.

A 12 oz can of soda pop contains about a quarter cup of sugar. Sugar needs a lot of water to balance it. Have you ever seen sugar pull the juice out of strawberries? (I hated when my mom did that. I told her she had just ruined them. Why put sugar on nice fresh strawberries that are already sweet?) The soda does not have enough water to balance the sugar, and in fact creates more thirst. On top of which sugar is addictive. A number of my friends cut sugar out of their diet and they had pretty bad withdrawal symptoms.

I find that water doesn't always quench my thirst, especially in summer. I find that nice fresh watermelon does the trick for me then.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

Well about the only drink I like that is sugary is gatorade. Like when I am hot that is. I do drink some soda drinks but not often at all. Might drink a 2 liters worth a month at the most. Mostly several several glasses of water each day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users