Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Conversion Programs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

Hi,

I've recently found Shareaza and have loaded my PC with video files and what not that I'd like to get off my PC by burning them to DVD. I've burned a few to CDs that will fit on one CD. All the rest would take more than one CD so I'd like to be able to burn them to DVD. The problem is that the video files that they came in .avi, .mpg, .mpeg and .wma don't seem to want to burn to DVD. I have a TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R5112 which a search seems to indicate that I should be able to burn to DVDs. I've tried burning the above files to DVD and nothing happens, the DVDs don't play. The person that custom build this PC said that I would need to convert the files to .vib? files before they would burn to DVD. I've just downloaded MediaCoder 0.5.1 to convert them but I don't seem to be able to find a .vib? conversion process on it. Also I'm using Nero 6.0 OEM version to burn.

So my questions are:
1. First, does anyone know for sure if my TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R5112 actually burns to DVDs for any files?
2. If it does, what would those be and do they include video files?
3. If my player does burn video files to DVD what file type would that be? .vib?
4. Does anyone know if MediaCoder 0.5.1 will do the job for this or not?
5. Can anyone explain how to use the MediaCoder to do the job if it does?
6. Does anyone know of a conversion program for this, if MediaCoder will not do the job? Where to get it and any cost involved if any?
7. Will Nero 6.0 OEM version work here for burning to DVD?

That should cover everything I can think of for this. If there are any other concerns that I may encounter I'm sure that you will bring them up. Please do. I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
Sincerely,

John :thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:58 AM

ROM stands for Read Only Media Checking the Toshiba site it is a writer so that is the good thing. I have been gojng thru some of the reviews and the MediaCoder is an open source programm (a.o.)meaning that it is under conti nieous changes. The developper himself says it is not a program for anyone.
I would say the most user friendly programm would be Nero 7 (FULL VERSION) I have used Nero for many years and since 1 year I am very happy with it. It converts 90% of all media into DVD's with having to have any knowledge whatsoever but to push the right buttons. Suggest you have a look at the website

One remark though,

I've recently found Shareaza

You would be better of trying other P2P programs. Shareaza comes with some spyware. Depending oin what you want Limewire or Azureus are better options

Edited by fozzie, 28 November 2006 - 03:00 AM.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:13 AM

Hi John.
Your DVD drive supports "writing" to DVD-R, DVD-RW media only. (no + type dvd discs or dual layer).
NeroVision is the program used within Nero to convert your avi's, mpegs, etc to the dvd file format.
Keep in mind that the conversion will increase overall file size so you won't get 4GB worth of these files on one dvd disc. Nero will warn you of this and offer to decrease quality to make them fit. Don't do it. If you are adding multiple files to one disc you'll also want to create seperate menu buttons for each file before the burn. You can create your own start menu background, button text and images, etc. You are not bound by the default options but it does take practice to perfect.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

I use ConvertXtoDVD (VSO) and then burn the video_ts folder with Ashampoo Burning Studio. But you can use any application to burn it that does video files. VSO will join multiple files and convert the movie to fit onto one DVD with no noticeable loss of quality. VSO also has its own burner to burn the disc after converting. Just make sure you look at the burning options and untick delete the files after burning....just in case you get a bad media burn and have to do it again. But then you'd have to use another application. I've never figured out if it can be used just for burning again. I don't think it can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users